Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird thing: volume way louder with effects off...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Aug 24, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I was messing around with my effects last night using a different bass than I normally do with my pedal board. I usually play a fender aerodyne when I use my board, and all my pedals are set for that bass. Last night I was using my G&L L2000, which is way louder. I set the gain on my amp accordingly...and played. After playing for a while plugged directly into my amp, I added my effects into the signal chain as I normally do:

Bass>Aphex punch factory>Tu-12H tuner>Wooly Mammoth>Fulltone bass-drive>Sansamp programmable>Amp

I kept all the pedals off, to be safe. When i played it was way louder than It had been when playing direct. When i turned any effect on the volume dropped by about 1/2? Anyone have any idea why this is happenning? :confused:

All pedals except the sansamp are true bypass...so it leads me to think that is where the problem is. I haven't tried any trouble shooting yet...I was too hungry to deal with it last night, and too lazy after I ate. :rollno: Any help would be aprreciated.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Iteresting link...thanks.

I should've done more tests before posting this...I will test each individually tonight. But my experience/understanding has always been the opposite. Volume or tone decreasing when pedals are turned off.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well, all the effects were setup for the Jazz right? And then you set the amp to produce the same volume with the G&L as with the jazz right?

I think you just need to change the settings on your effects to accomodate your G&L's hotter signal.

Or did I read that wrong?

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Correct, I adjusted the gain on the amp to get the same vol as the jazz.

Then I was going to tweak each effect to accomodate the G&L.

However, Before tweaking each effect to the appropriate level. With all effects off- I noticed the volume was way louder than before (with the G&L plugged direct into the amp). i didn't turn any effects on...so technically it should be relatively the same level as plugged directly into my amp...right?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It should. I think it takes way more effects in your chain than what you have to get an appreciable difference in your levels. I'm stumped.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Go through and try each effect one at a time until you find the culprit. My money's on the buffer in the TU2, which is not bypassed when its inline.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I bet your right about the tuner...I've been meaning to take it out of my chain. Its just convienent on the board.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Fuzz should always be first in your chain, the wooly mammoth doesn't work well with active basses either.

For the tuner place it on the parallel out of the sansamp
    so it is then out of your chain but still on your board.

Hope this helps

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Some effect pedals just suck up alot of your signal. Check all you patch cables & jacks also. I use a Boss LS-2 Line switcher
    to switch out to the tuner so I can keep it out of the signal chain and tune silently. :)