1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird traffic/stalker situation w/ wife this morning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Here's a weird one for you.. I just cant figure this one out... This morning my wife's driving on her way to a doctor's appointment. As she's driving she notices a car tailgating her. She's able to see that it's a younger guy and he's driving close enough to where it's starting to freak her out. She comes up to a stop sign and he's still driving right on her bumper, so she looks both ways and rolls through the stop sign to put some distance from this guy. He slows down then does the same thing and speeds up to be on her bumper again. The shopping mall/area where her doc is located is coming up so she does a quick ninja turn into the parking lot and drives around the back effectively losing the guy. She then drives across and parks at her doctor's office. As she's in the waiting room, she looks out the window and sees this guy behind her car writing down her license plate number, then he drives off. She called me and I told her to call the police which she didn't do... (ARGH!) So she finished up her appointment, comes outside to see 4 police cars waiting for her. According to the police, this guy claims she was "diving 50 mph, nearly hit his car and ran through a stop sign". Total total bs. How could he know how fast she was going..? How can he prove "she almost hit him"? About the only thing he's got is that she ran a stop sign, to which she told the cops that she "did to get away from this guy" I'm really not sure what this guy's up to, but how the hell can something like this even taken seriously without any evidence at all??
    Anyone ever have any experience with citizen's traffic complaints etc etc. It's really just one person's word vs another so can something like that even make it to court?? This is just so bizarre.

2. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    They can't do anything to your wife for a claim like that and I'm shocked that 4 police cars actually showed up unless they suspected DUI. He must have been a good story teller. Weird, yes, but if you see him again around your house or following your wife, get a restraint filed. If he made a report, they have his info and you probably do as well after today if he tried a citizen's arrest.

While fresh, she should document every action from the first time she noticed his car and be sure that she does not text or take calls while driving just in case someone with a camera is looking.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    4 cop cars?

I wish I could say something else, but...

FOUR COP CARS????

4. Wow...That some creepy ish right there. I've got no expertise on the matter, but 6jase5's advice seems sound

5. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Sounds like he failed basic training, never got over it and is now a busybody.

Nothing stranger than folk dude.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep. I had something like this. Years ago I was sitting at home when two sheriff cars pulled in my driveway. Three officers came to the door and asked to speak to the person who owns the Ford truck in the driveway, which was me.

After I identified myself, they did the stereotypical thing you see on TV...where were you from 12:30PM until 3PM today? So I answer I was at work, and they promptly ask for proof. I give them names and numbers of the guys I worked with that day (I was still in construction so I worked with a crew of guys that day) and the contact info for my boss. They leave, and come back an hour or so later to let me know my story checks out, then they apologize for the hassle.

Why did they stop by? Someone across town had a four wheeler stolen from their yard. The owners saw my truck while I was driving home from work I guess, with no four wheeler in it mind you, and apparently it looked like the truck they saw of the person driving off with their four wheeler. To seal the deal, they said my truck had the same tire tread as the tracks in their yard from the truck that did steal the four wheeler. So they recorded my license plate and called police to say they found the truck that stole their four wheeler. The officers verified that my tire treads matched the ones at the scene, but thanks to my "story", I was cleared. No apology from the person who had the four wheeler stolen though.

I wasn't mad at the police in any way, they had to follow a lead.

-Mike

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Thanks guys. I suspect the 4 cops cars are a result of this guy claiming that she was flying down the road at high speeds, nearly hit him and ran a red light. Kind of makes her sound like she was either drunk or on something. I figured that they probably didn't know what to expect so were taking no chances.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Completely crazy!

9. The world is full of crazy sadly.

Also pretty nuts that they sent out that many cars!

If your wife sees him doing it again, tell her to slam the breaks (clearly avoiding something running the road), let the tailgating ******* run the back of the car and sue for damages :p

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He gets a ticket for tailgating while she is possibly injured for life. But yeah, that guy will learn his lesson.

-Mike

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    They didn't give her any crap about running the stop sign, did they? Hope not.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's also possible the guy told the truth, but followed the wrong car. When working in security, we had the "eyes always on" rule: if you lose the person in question for one second, especially in stressful situation, it's extremely easy to get persons, cars etc. mixed up.

13. Anyone who tailgates me risks getting their airbag deployed, and if they follow me long enough I'm going to the nearest fire/police station in case it's someone wanting to start something.

Had that happen to me in high school, granted I kinda deserved it, but it became a serious situation when the guy jumped out of his truck and started yelling at me. Now I'm a much more responsible driver so no one should be able to complain about my driving as far as following the law is concerned.

Peace,
    Greg

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Not trying to sound like an alarmist, but watch wifey's six like a hawk for a while and if this knob pops up on her radar, don't hesitate to make it known to the law.

Far too many off kilter nuts in this world today to trust he's just some attention junkie looking for cheap thrills.

He may be nothing more than that, but it would be awful to find out otherwise when he tries to kidnap your wife.

Any way you can find out who this fool is? If so, run his ass through been verified dot com and see what comes out. And make sure to let your kids, friends and neighbors know to keep a look out for him skulking around. Forewarned is forearmed, and that is never a bad thing.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Fess up, Matt... how bad of a driver is your ole lady, really? :D

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    She would be the one in the middle:

[​IMG]

j/k!! She's actually just about average. She has no tickets, no points. She loves the horn though...*BEEP BEEP* c'mon move your arse!!'

17. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ^ this.

Pass this along to your wife, though hopefully she'll never have to follow the said advice. Just something to keep in mind, assuming she remembers what the guy and/or his car looks like.

18. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Last week four police cars full of police woke my sister and her husband at 3:00 in the morning to harass them about their car being used to committ a robbery at Wal-Mart. Turns out my niece (who actually has possession of the car and lives 100 miles away) has a habit of leaving her keys on the front seat. My niece's neighbor has on two occasions taken the car in the middle of the night, used it in the commission of a felony and then returned it to my niece's parking spot. Luckily they have photos of the perps but you can't make this stuff up...

edit: how to entertain a tailgator while riding a motorcycle: flip a few steel ball bearings over your shoulder.
    edit 2: no woman should be out without a cell phone and a firearm; just my Appalachian redneck opinion.

19. I had hoped the sense of sarcasm had come over better than it evidently did!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think it fell off somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean, before the Grand Banks.

-Mike