Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird troubles setting Warwick up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by metalguy2, Sep 24, 2005.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have my friends bass I am trying to fix up for him. I tweaked the neck and it looks like it should be good right about now. But the action is still wicked high. And the action on the bridge was set pretty low. Should I be looking to put some sort of shim in the neck joint? Or should I try and make the neck more straight? It is Warwick and it has the nut height option. But I don't think this is the problem because it does not look like I can set it any lower.
    ADVICE PLEASE!!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Which Warwick? Many Warwicks have adjustable height bridges, not just the saddles. So even if the saddles are low, you can lower the entire bridge.

3. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    It is a steamer

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Save this link to your computer: Warwick manual . Go to page 3. Loosen the bridge locking screws, then turn the bridge height adjustment screws counter clockwise to lower the bridge as a whole.

The saddles have adjustable heights so you can adjust the saddle radius to player preference, but you change the action by raising and lowering the bridge as a whole. That way, once you lock in the radius you want, you don't have to adjust the saddle heights again, unless you switch between tapered and untapered strings.

5. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I checked it out and the bridge is most definitely not like that. It more like a fender style bridge.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sure it's a Streamer?

7. A shim might be needed if the relief is set good and saddles are already nearly bottomed out.
    I was working on a bass one time that just couldn't be fixed without the shim.
    Make sure the relief isn't too much. Sometimes, taking just a bit more of that relief out, will considerably lower the action at the higher frets.
    Don't overtighten the truss trying to get the action right. I actually pulled a backbow in the neck of a bass chasing a setup. I straightened the neck, experimented with a shim, and man was that a nice playing bass after that.
    Good luck..

Mag...

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Looked around the Warwick site, and it must be a Rock Bass Streamer. So yeah, what Magneto said.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    OR, it could be a streamer Pro-M, of course.

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The Warwick shows the Pro-M as having the standard Warwick bridge, not the Fender style. Unless there was an older model not shown.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Streamer Standard. From around 96.
    Short-lived, was W's cheapest bass till the Rockbasses appeared.

12. I hope that someone smites you if you hurt that bass. :ninja: :ninja: