weird tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kornchild_17, Aug 28, 2001.

1. kornchild_17

Mar 31, 2001
    I was just wondering how the bassits for Mudvayne tunes his bass. I'm looking up tablature for there songs and he tunes his bass like this: CGCF. I was just wondering how to tune my bass like this. I have a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    No offense korn dude but with the approximate guagues of 4 string strings i wouldn't plan on using it full time with standard sets. I've tried the tuning on my mexi jazz but doesn't sound to good-i'd recommend either getting a 5 string or if you want that as full time tuning get like a 120 guage for the C 100 for the G, 70 or so for the C, then like a 50 for the F-i'm goin on estimates or just get a 5 string set & toss the reg. g string, when in doubt wait for more replies or ask a store guy. thats all
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    also a 4 string with 35' scale helps... Only if you detune to C (like me)

detuning to A definetely needs a 5 string
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    no need to get a 35' scale bass. All you need is super thick strings and then tune your strings to those notes with a chromatic tuner and youre good to go. The only difference between CGCF and EADG is that the lowest string is an extra step down so youll have to keep that in mind when youre playing on the low strings. Good luck!! :D

I encourage tuning experimentation.
  5. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    CGCF is like a DADG but a whole step down. standard=EADG, whole step down=DGCF, whole step down and drop C (so guitariststststs can hit those power chords faster)= CGCF
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    yeah thats what I meant basically. in CGCF, the low string is an extra step down from the other strings. I didnt mean from the note E.

Its all relative to what you have the strings tuned to. Drop C is just Drop D transposed one whole step down. What I said still stands.
  7. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    oh my bad. i was like :confused:
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i'm pretty sure thats not exactly how he tunes. He plays a 5 string. It souinds to me like that he might not play a certain string in that song, so the person who tabbed it just tried to tune a 4 string like a 5 string leaving out the string. I have been playing a song that is dropped a step and half lately and the string rattles like heck. If you really want to play those songs get a 5er or get heavier gauge strings i spose. IF you really like all the low tuning i guess u could get a 35" neck for your 4 string if they make those. He does slap alot though so doing anything but playin it on a 5 will not sound great. Hope that helps