Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WEIRD!! WAIT UNTIL YOU HERE WHAT BASS I JUST GOT FROM THE PAWN SHOP!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSBOY_JR, Aug 24, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BASSBOY_JR

BASSBOY_JR

Aug 24, 2000
    I WENT TO THE PAWN SHOP TODAY TO LOOK FOR A COOL OR UNUSUAL BASS OF EFFECT. WHAT I FOUND WAS A BASS THAT WAS CALLED AN ARIA PRO II, IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF SUCH A THING, TALK TO ME. BY THE WAY I BOUGHT IT FOR $100 BUCKS.

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I saw an Aria Pro in a pawn shop, I could buy a Modulus. They are a company that makes various musical instruments at reasonable prices. Steve Bailey endorses their line. Which Aria Pro did you get?

3. I own an Aria Pro II. they are considered moderate basses and for the money that they normally cost, you get more than what you paid for. I can't compare mine to others for mine is custom made with Active EMGs in it and a Kahler Tremolo. For $100 you definatly got a decent deal.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    I HAVE AN IDEA. WHY DON'T YOU TAKE THE CAPS LOCK OFF. :D

5. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Pawn shops are cool. I got Mokky, me's Gibson, from a pawn shop place.

Congrats on the new bass...$100 is a pretty sweet price...

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good deal on a good bass.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I wish the pawn shops around here would have ANYTHING decent. They are just as bad as the music stores...nothing interesting at all.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    $100 for an Aria in good working order is not Bad. Bassboy, Steve Bailey's signature bass is an Aria Pro and Faith No More's Billy Gould used to play Arias years ago. For future reference, please go easy on the caps.

Will C.:cool:

9. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    They're ok. Buty you should make sure you use the correct spelling. Wait until you HERE??...should be...Wait until you HEAR.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Scottzo, don't you THERE to discourage a beginner! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist:D...

Will C.:cool:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Buty-ful advice.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    around here in the 80s, if you were in a metal band you HAD to have an Aria Pro II Cat bass or a Charvel.

Anyone remember the ads in metal mags when Malmsteen was endorsing Arias? too funny. He also endorsed Crate practice amps...

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i remember him endorsing the crates. i always thought that must've been some kind of joke, i mean what did he use them for, a stool?

14. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    One of my first basses was an Aria Pro II "Cat Bass" had for $150 used. Yeah, it had: crappy active electronics that were quite noisy until I replaced them with a simple EMG/passive tone set-up, one of the strap buttons pulled out of the plywood body resulting in a cracked head-stock, cheap hardware, weak neck and the frets were VERY soft. But I played the hell out of it for 2 or 3 years, including 3-5 live shows a month and 2 demos!
    Don't expect to take it to the "Antiques Road Show" and have it appraised for thou$ands, but sounds like you got a good deal. I remember seeing a brand-new one once for almost $600! Have fun.
    RGDS

15. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks
    Aria Pro II = 1980's, although I associate it more with bass players from the early MTV bands like John Taylor of Duran Duran or the guy from Haircut 100 (if anyone remembers them!). Even if you didn't like the bands, those basses (in walnut, I believe) were all over MTV!!!

16. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    BTW: John Taylor of Duran Duran used to use an Aria pro in the "heyday" of Duran Duran in the early to mid 80's . . .

17. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Aria Pro II makes wide variety of bass and guitar. Some of them made in japan and USA, others are china, korea etc
    For $100 you might get a made in korea or china.
    Check for the type and series !!!
    You might need to buy a better pickup and electronic.

18. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD

Aug 19, 2000
    Jack Bruce endorsed a bass once...a neck through. His had a different headstock than production, so it was cut out of all the ads!!

19. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Jack Bruce endorsed Warwick and had a signature series.
    BTW, with the band names flying around, I realize how gald I am that I don't remember much of the 80's (Age 0-10)

20. Thank god for Pawn shops, eh? Got my first one for just under $150, a piece of crap Memphis P-bass. But for the past three years I have played the hell out of it.

It does sound like you got a sweet deal. Try the sucker out and see how it sounds. Give us your impression. Loud pick-ups? Bad connection? Bad action? Maybe we acn help you see wassup with it. If anything.:D

Rock on
    Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.