Weird Weird tones...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jul 24, 2005.

1. has anyone here ever come across one of those tones that makes you raise an eyebrow? They could be good, they could be bad, they just have to be WEIRD!

I heard a while ago, this song off Limewire that claimed to be thus:

Tool and Disturbed- Killing you now

it was neither band, similar but neither, good song but the bassists tone :eek: :eek: it was very very strange, check it out if u have the time
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Is this a question of effects? Or just general tone?
  3. Billy Sheehan has one of the most distinctive tones out there.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I am going to throw Mark Sandman's name into a thread that will almost envitably become a Jaco lovefest.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  6. Paul D'Amour's tone on TOOL's Undertow album, Never heard anything like it, The best bass tone Ive ever heard, Tryed to acheive it, And I just dont know what he used to get it.
  7. I know paul had a Ric and he played with a pick. Thats the two main things. His mids were kinda high too...
  8. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Tony Levin's trebly, not at all bassy synth-like tone one Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" struck me as odd at first, but for the song, it's oh-so right!
    I keep on reading he likes to use some sort of phaser stomp box, is this an example of how it sounds?
  9. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    A lot of Tony Levin's tones are pretty weird. IMO Claypool's tone is kinda out there too.

When I read that I was thinking "McCartney".
  10. Jerry Only's tone on the early Misfits stuff sounds like a gobbling Turkey, particularly 'Return of the Fly'.

11. I knew this, I have a Ric myself, I was talking about his amp settings. Im sure he's using a considerable amount of overdrive and alot of mids and treble to get his tone.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Claypool's tone on the C2B3 album. It's all done on fretless, sans Elephant Ghost (on the NS upright), but he doesn't really have mwah. He's got like... ugly, but somehow it fits.
  13. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    i always thought on C2B3 the song "48 hours to go" was done on one of his fretted basses. Either way, i must say that his tone on that album is WAY out there...i kinda like it :ninja: :bag:
  14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    chris squire had a tone that took a while for me to appreciate.
  15. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Claypool's Purple Onion album has some strange tunes on there......