1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird, yet really cool, fuzz effect in jazz. What fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soma89, Aug 20, 2012.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    This video is pretty weird. The bass playing is kinda bad and the mix is terrible...but around the 5:26 the bassist turns on the fuzz which makes it sound even worse :D.

Anyone know what bass effect it could be? It really cuts the bass response totally.

Even if this video offends you, you gotta dig the old pbass wih black tapewounds :)

2. Sounds like the guitar version of the valnott:

3. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    Super Fuzz perhaps?

And yeah. That video was freakin amazing.

4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    ... What the hell did I just watch

5. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    i am not sure how i feel after watching that

6. the bass player's serviceable until the fuzz-gasm, then it looks like he just lost everybody, his bandmates and audience alike..

7. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    +1. The music turned to noise.

8. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    What fuzz pedal? :D

I wanna say that when I first saw this video I thought it was the oddest thing ever. The fuzz part hit me hard....I didnt understand it....now I love it and have watched this videos like 15 times.

9. Some vintage fuzz pedals couldn't get up to unity gain. That's all that's going on here, either the player doesn't have it set loud enough, or he's using something like a Tonebender, I had a Tonebender MK II that could not get up to unity gain. Other than that the fuzz doesn't sound bad, at least not worse than the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe demos that had people clamoring. Tapewounds aren't my first choice with fuzz. I can see how that style of jazz may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it does take incredible talent to play. Not a fan of the bass tone, but equipment choices were much more limited in those days, and it takes all kinds.

10. I love how the guitarist (Rene?) looks back at him as if to say "Are you done yet?"

11. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Bassist looks like John Paul Jones' French junkie cousin...

12. Scobby Bott

Scobby Bott

Jan 23, 2012
    Pottstown, PA
    Alec, every time I see your avatar, I always unconsciously infer that it's your response to the topic at hand.

13. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    That was never my intention, but it's hilarious!

I'd better stick to posting in OMGWTF threads...

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Mixed with some Jack Bruce! :)

15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    René Thomas, quite a well-known European jazz guitarist. Can't say much about the bassist and drummer.

YouTube :meh:

16. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.

Yeah.. It's like he could have gone to the kitchen to make a tuna salad sandwich, and it would have created the same black-hole effect, throwing the other musicians and the audience into the furthest reaches of indifference. lol.

17. +1

the impatient body language just makes me laugh.

Pretty cool to see a professional kitchen jam; the world needs more of them to stay hip.

18. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Hmm.. I dont know about that one

19. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I love the "*** is happening hear" factor in this vid.

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    You say that like it's a bad thing...