1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZenG, Apr 24, 2015.

1. I have a Squier Jaguar SS shortscale.

When I'm using it with a strap, standing up, the bass does not have any really horrendous neck-dive....but it has a tendency to try to work it's way to about 5 degrees north of horizontal.

Just today I took a length of sturdy twine and dangled it by the front (horn) strap button by itself.....

Voila! Perfectly balanced at 45 degrees.

Awhile back I tried moving the rear strap button up the body about 4 inches......made no difference at all...

( I have a good strap..it doesn't slip at all.........that is unless I'm wearing a shirt or something made out of "slippable" material.....then the garment itself cancels the non-slip of the strap).

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The explanation of your actions took me a minute to understand. At first I thought you attached to string to the horn button and let it hang to the floor; it made no sense. I re-thought the process and realized you let the base hang from the string. Now I guess you're wondering why the base works its way toward horizontal when it actually balanced rather well? The strap at the base of the bass is taking some of the load preventing the base from hanging the way Leo intended. The remedy? I don'no.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Moving the rear strap button 'down' 4" can have a positive affect countering neck-dive, but only if the bass is 40 degrees to 70 degrees from horizontal- near horizontal, it'll have no affect.

4. Sissy Kathy:- I tied a piece of sturdy twine to the front (horn) button ( a piece about 12 inches long)...and then picked the whole bass up and let it dangle by that ( I dangled it over the bed in case it fell off...but I wasn't worried about that at all really).....in other words the bass was hanging in mid-air supported by only the twine tied to the front strap button and nothing else. . This bass weighs 6.4 Lbs., the twine is rated 200lbs.....don't know what the strap button is rated at......:woot:

When doing this it had (for me) perfect balance. (Or would be if I could get it to stay like that once the strap is back on).

I think what I'm going to do is get a Fender or a Schaller strap lock ( same thing only different name) and move the rear strap button to somewhere around back of the body to a different location closer to the "middle" (As yet to be determined.....have to watch out where inner routings are etc.......and best place for balance and ergonomics).

I saw a video on Youtube quite awhile ago now of a guy doing this on some basses that had horrible neck dive...and it worked for him quite well....if I can find the video again I will post it.

His video was a simple fix that worked very well......

5. This is the video I was referring to:-