1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weirdest bridge I’ve ever seen!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bergerman, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Springfield, OR
    Max George likes this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There was an old thread about those bridges around here somewhere, but I can't find it. They are certainly pretty strange. No idea what it would sound like.

3. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I'm both skeptical and curios.

4. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I once owned a Kay with this exact bridge! I wonder if this is it?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a picture:

IMG_2516.

And here's the thread I remember, which identifies it as a Framus bridge.

yodedude2, Winoman and ICM like this.
  6. eh_train

eh_train Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    I really hope there's a good amount of cork, or something cushioning underneath those feet. I have seen a nice old ply with very distinct impressions in the the top where the feet were....

7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This is what is known as "a bridge too far." Seems to me it is reversed in all pictures. I think the bridge would better resist being pulled forward by string tension if the single foot were foremost.

eh_train and PaulReside like this.
  8. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I have wondered where the soundpost position would be, since the from feet are pretty far north of crown of the bridge and the trailing foot might complicate how the top interacts with the soundpost. Are there some DB luthiers here who routinely service older plywood basses with this kind of bridge, most likely using gut strings? What has been your experience with the soundpost positioning?

9. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    My first bass had one of those. There are little disks with cork padding where the thing sits on the top. The theory was that the extra point of contact with the top created sort of a fulcrum that took weight off of the bridge and allowed it to rock - vibrate - back and forth. You can imagine how well it worked. Cast iron is known as a wonderful conductor of vibration, and so is cork for that matter!