1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WEIRDEST noise I've ever heard come out of a bass..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheAlchemist, Oct 14, 2013.

1. TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist

Sep 10, 2013
    My P-Bass Deluxe (active) is making a REALLY bizarre noise whenever I have been playing for a few minutes. Here's an mp3 of it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvwcq1szmyyjngp/bass noise.mp3

That file is a recording of the noise, then me unplugging and replugging the bass. You can hear that it takes a second to start backup, but then ramps up to the final high sound.

The noise is controllable with the bass' volume knob. Any notes played during the noise come out distorted and quiet in comparison to the squealing. The squeal goes away with the volume knob all the way down or the battery taken out. As you can hear in the recording, unplugging the jack remedies the problem for a few seconds, and then it comes back with a vengeance.

Any thoughts?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Change the battery...see if that helps.

3. Reminds me of that envelope filter I had on my breadboard.
    I forget what the cause was but I would start with the battery.
    If your per-amp has a gain (usually internal)try turning it down.

4. TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist

Sep 10, 2013
    Weird. I had changed the battery first thing, but I guess I changed it to another one that was on the verge of going bad. Swapped it out with another one fresh from the store and now it works again. I had no idea that a dying battery could cause such an awful sound. Thanks!

5. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Well now you do and that gives you an opportunity to stock up on fresh 9v batteries so you don't have it happen again. :p Really sounds like crap doesn't it? LOL

One of the reasons I went back to playing passive basses is that I hated having to carry around a six pack of 9vs because I was always forgetting to unplug my basses and would run the batteries down. Having to scrounge for one in the middle of a gig is no fun.

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Some people spend good money getting a zvex fuzz factory built into their guitar. Sounds like you just got one for free.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Sounds like someone let the air out of it :D

8. :eyebrow:I change the battery when I change strings every year and a half rather they need it or not
    carvin 3 band has the option of bypass and can be made the same volume when you turn the gain down

9. jet_king

jet_king

Jul 31, 2009
    Chicago,IL
    I almost did this. preferred it stayed on the board though.