Weirdest onstage getup

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tash, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What's the strangest thing you've seen someone wearing on stage? While Gwar comes to mind right off the bat, I think I'd have to say the dude I saw playing bass in pair of depends and a bondage mask was the oddest. I don't remember the band, they were the opening act for I think Decapitate at Jaxx in VA a few years ago.

Runner up for me would have to go to the singer in Usurper, who I had the "pleasure" of seeing both times I caught Cradle of Filth on the Cruelty tour. He was wearing leather pants and a chainmail vest, which is pretty standard metal gear. Except this guy is BIG, there were little sausages of flab oozing from between the links of his chainmail as he bounced around the stage. Amusing, in a detached, kinda nauseating sort of way.
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    As soon as I read the thread title I thought of GWAR. Also anytime a black guy is in a band and he wears black face paint that's pretty funny.
  3. I don't know if this really counts, but its a humorous band image. A year or so ago my band was playing at a bar in Richmond. There was another band there, called "Uncle Tom and the Klansmen" which you would think is some sort of white supremist, racist southern band... but their singer was black. His name was Ray, and he was a really cool dude, and he had a blast playing with the whole racist thing. He wore a big thick hemp rope necklace around his neck with a tail hanging down so that it looked like a noose. When he came on stage, the first thing he said was "Where all the white women at?" His band did a great set, and he sang a couple Metallica songs with us afterward. Amazing voice, and not really what you'd expect from a black dude.
  4. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I don't remember the name of the band, but I had the displeasure of sharing a stage with what may be the worst sounding crap I've ever heard about a year and a half ago.

This band had been bugging us about going over to Tampa to play play a show with them for Months, we finally broke down and said sure. They had a decent following and we had a Great crowd over there. After that night I became convinced that people in Tampa have NEVER heard good music or seen a good stage show, if this band was considered by many "One of the best in Tampa".

We played our set and got our stuff off the stage and they started to bring in their stuff.
    The guitar amps looked like they had been dragged behind the car with chains, the drum set was a three piece (kick, snare, floor tom) . The kick drum was from a Tama Swingstar set (cheapest tama's ever made) and had been spray painted!! green and hot pink. The snare didn't have a brand name on it, but sounded like one that you would buy a 10 year old who wanted to start playing drums. And the floor tom was from a Pearl Export set, was brush painted black and orange and had a hole the size of a baseball in the side of it.

Then.. out came the guitars and bass. (the bass player, by the way was playing through a Peavey GUITAR!! comba amp with two twelves in it) I don't know what brand guitars they were but the bass looked like a home modified (and butchered) fender P-bass. and all of them (two guitars and the bass) were painted with florecent finger paint to make them all look like chicken heads.

They go outside for a while and we stayed there staring blankly at the cluster **&% of equipment they tossed on the stage for maybe ten minutes before they emerged.

The "lead" (and I use the term loosely) guitar player was in spandex biker shorts with a zoro mask on.
    The other guitar player had school maskot type chicken head on, a leather jump suit and a white cape.
    The bassist was wearing an evening dress, which went really well with the tiara and full beard.
    The drummer was only wearing a jock strap under white fishnet pantyhose. I have requests into scientists around the world that can create a machine that can go in and erase that image from my memory.
    Then the singer jumps on stage with a bear body (again.. mascot style) and some kind of alien-bird head.

We left after the third song. At least I think it was the third song. Every tune they played consisted of an E power chord and G played as fast as they could. They could have at least tried to play together but it was VERY sloppy and resulted in nothing but blurred noise, being played over a drum beat that consisted of the snare on each down beat and the kick played on each up beat with an ocassional, poorly placed crash. The vocals were completely uninteligable since he was singing through this stupid costume head, but what we could hear.. he was SOMEHOW Severly off key! I'm still not sure how one can sing off key to something like that.
    And as if the music wasn't good enough!! The crowd interaction was second to none! (can you smell the sarcasm here?)
    You would have thought the Rolling Stones had walked into the building with the way the crowd reacted to the carrying out of "The Artillery Bag" As named by one of the guitar player. The band then opened said bag.. and started throwing close to 200 beanie babies at the people in the audience, which they took pleasure in throwing back at the members of the band.

Needless to say, we didn't play any more shows with them and tried not to mention it to one another again after that night.
    I am forever scared.
  5. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I'd love to play in a band like that one. Seriously. Maybe I've just had enough of being serious and responsible but I'd much rather play in a band like that than in one with artistic merit and great equipment. OK, maybe I'd get tired of it after a few shows... but it sounds like a lot of fun and not a lot of hard work.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    OMFG man, this absolutley hilarious, do you have any pictures, just to laugh at? :D
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    And here I was thinking P-funk took the cake for outlandish costumes, that story from form52 might beat them out though hehe.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah...I was thinking Parliament/Funkadelic myself....and then I thought about Iowa's own....Slipknot
  10. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I am in Dallas..I have to see them..
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You guys who think P-Funk invented that schtick ought to take a look at some photos of Sun Ra's bands, which definitely take the cake out of the bands I've actually seen. Their music matched the look really well too. :cool:

Google Images Of Sun Ra

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Their's was more of an African-inspired motif...Earth, Wind, and Fire borrowed the look. Sun Ra didn't walk around in diapers, cat outfits, fly in the venue in a spaceship, or smoke weed onstage if my memories of them serve correctly...nice band, though!!
  13. Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
  14. Passinwind

I totally dig P-Funk, but I have to disagree a bit here, or at least amplify on my point.

They wore lots of costumes that weren't African at all, like Robin Hood costumes for example. And Sun Ra didn't need no stinkin' faux space ship, he believed he was from Saturn. :cool: There is a cheesy Ra movie with a space motif though, which I highly recommend.

Many crtitics have mentioned the Ra/Clinton connection, like so:
    Note that Sun Ra was into this stuff pre-1960. Tell me this doesn't evoke Clinton, just a bit?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

LOL!!! Sooooo true!!! That's too funny! Thanks for tha knowledge.
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Saturday at the Granada, I'll be there! :)
  17. Passinwind

P-Funk certainly took things to another level, since they had a little money and a much bigger following, in any case. I've never laughed so hard at a concert as I did at the first Sun Ra Arkestra show I saw in NYC though. I was seated 4 feet from the man, when I wasn't literally falling outta my seat. :bassist:
  18. I opened for Fishbone last year and Norwood came out wearing a 10'x3' Persian rug with a hole cut out for his head, like a poncho or something.

Nothing else. Naked as the day he was born. Dude's like 6'3" or something.

...My MOM was in the audience. She still talks about it.

Other than that, the Chili Peppers wearing only tube socks was pretty weird. When they wore pith helmets with soaring flames and almost set Marisa Tomei's hair on fire...or when they were giant light bulbs...
  19. Somebody please submit to R-n-R Confidential...For the love of pete.