Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weirdest rig configuration seen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Tell us what you have experienced. All kind of weird rigs.

I were at a local show. And guess what the bassplayer used.
    1x15 cab + 1x10 cab...
    That is really strange to me.
    Sounded good anyway.

Tell me your experiences! :D

2. That's cool. I would like to get four 1x10 cabinets (I am really small), ideally. I will probably end up with four 2x10s, though.

3. Right now I'm using a 4x6 and a 2x12. Weird enough?

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Tom B's room.... ;)

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i've gotten by a few gigs with 2 EV 8" pa speakers, a crown ce amp, and a lr baggs acoustic outbaord pre. hehe, sounded fine too.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1...

Check out the threads where he detailed how many of his cabs he and his bandmates use onstage
    :D

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I was a kid I used an old stereo system that was lying around the house. It had two small full range cabs (I think the subs were 8") and a 30-50 watt amp. The EQ on it was nice, like 9 band. I used an adapter to plug my bass in. This kid showed up to our rehearsal real excited about seeing my "bass rig" and was greatly disappointed. To make a long story short, it got blown pretty fast. I dont know if that is the weirdest rig, but it is definately one of the most ****e! =)

8. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    a 25 watt peavey guitar amp with a pre-out hooked up to a behringer head with a 1x15 cab....sounded amazing :bassist: \

mind you this was a bass rig at a local show

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I've used (& been very happy when doing so) our Whappo Grande 21" with our Tri 110L & it rocks, although it does get some stares.

Mark
    AccuGroove; Home of Weird Rigs...

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A 1x15 and 1x10 is a very logical arrangement, most especially if the two cabs are placed so that the acoustic centers of the drivers are vertically aligned. From an acoustical engineering standpoint drivers should never be placed horizontal to each other, particularly if those drivers are working the same frequency range. As for single driver cabs, most cabs using multiple drivers of the same size stuff too many drivers into too small a cabinet, and they end up working no better than a single driver would in the same size box.

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I have a Sunn 1 x 18 w/ 1 x 12. 18 is angled up about 60o. S'nice

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Bill;

OK, I know from your posts on this forum that a 4/10 or 2 2/10s side by side doesn't work well. I recently walked around a room where a friend was playing through a 4/10 and noticed that it did not disperse well just as you said. It sounded different when I stood in different parts of the room. Might I also conclude that placing a 1/12 next to a vertical 2/10 will cause the same problem?

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes. The 1x12 should be placed below the 2x10 so that all the driver centers line up vertically.

14. Illadvised_Bass

Illadvised_Bass

Jun 19, 2005
    i have jammed on an 8-watt yamaha guitar amp which when had the distortion turned on sounded something like a dishwasher.