Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weirdest Timings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 19, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whats a song with the weirdeast timing youvew heard. A song that just made you go "whoa, how the hell do they keep in sync with that"?

Id have to say Phareamacopia by Mudvayne (the middle part) astoinishes me a bit

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    11/8 is pretty out there,

Last time I saw vic, they played a song in 11/8, they prefaced the song by a false start then saying "wait, let's try something, are you- you think you can try something new guys?, let's play this song in whatever time signature the audience wants" then the audience started yelling out tiem signatures. "11/8!!! 9/8!!!1 7/4!!!! 2/8!!!!"

I yelled out 13/2!!!! 13/2!!!!

and then after some deliberation, Vic said "whoa whoa whoa, I'm hearing some crazy stuff...got 9/8 or-and a 13/2 over there? that's funky, but I think we're going to go with 11/8"

w00t go me, my hekkling was addressed on stage :p

funky-ass song though, I can't remember the title, it's going to be on his next album.

There is a band NOMEANSNO almost all their **** is in the most bizzare tiem signatures, but they make it sound like it's just simple rock music, unless you are counting :p they have songs that move from 9/8 to 3/4 to 4/4 to 12/8 and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Radiohead also has some gnarly time signatures, 13/8 is one off the top of my head, I think htey have one song that alternates between 13/8 and 9/8.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Toto had some 17/8 instrumentals, e.g. Party in Simon's Pants.

But usually they don't sound as weird as, let's say a 7-8th note pattern of a 4/4 beat. The shifts sound more uneven than an uneven beat.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hidden Shadows by Herbie Hancock, if I recall, is in 19/4.

5. A lot of the polyrhythmic stuff by King Crimson and almost anything by The Dillinger Escape Plan. Crazy bastards, all of 'em...

6. Botch, they seem to have a partiular fondness for grouping things in five..... next to groups in three or six.

7. The thing that comes to my head is Megadeths song "she wolf". The guitar bit in the intro part has pretty weird timing.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Almost anything off the album "Destroy Erase Improve" by Meshuggah.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Space Boogie" by Jeff Beck. Has great Jeff Berlin bass playing and Simon Phillips on drums.

I saw Simon Phillips at a drum clinic after the release of this song. He played the rythym both right and left handed on the drums....whoa!

10. There's a song by (I think) Tomahawk, one of Mike Patton's bands, where it actually sounds like the CD is skipping, but they do it on purpose. I don't know if they can pull it off live or not, but it's pretty whacked out sounding.

Pretty much any of that dude's bands all use weird timings...Mr. Bungle came to mind right away too...

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm no Tomahawk fan, but they opened for Tool last summer, and they did this song that may have been what you're talking about. But, I remember thinking it was really crappy, and poorly done. I don't like people who sound like they just said, "Hey, let's write something in an unusual time signature." Just sounds fake. I like people who can keep the feel going even in the most spastic time.

Speaking of Tool, I remember having quite a time trying to wrap my head around the chrorus of Lateralus. It's 3 measures, the first measure is in 9/8, the second is 8/8, the third is 7/8.

Also, I'll concur with Radiohead. Pyramid Song seems to be in no time sigature at all, or one that changes every single measure.

12. Bah, Tomahawk is much better than Tool. My opinion, of course. ;)
    "Sir Yes Sir" by Tomahawk is in 5, but it's pretty easy to follow. You mentioned Radiohead, and some more examples of their odd time signatures: "Paranoid Android" goes into 7, "2+2=5" starts off in 7, "Kid A" is in 5, and "Go To Sleep" is in 5.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Well, if we're just spouting off unusual time sigs, nearly every Tool song is something other than 4/4, at least part of the time. But I was naming the most unusual ones I'd heard. And, Tomahawk... eh... ;)

14. Phish!!!

Some examples are Divided Sky (middle jam), You Enjoy Myself (certain sections), Taste, Stash (jam), Mound and Foam.

15. The Dillinger Escape Plan lol what do u expect from people who failed berkley because the music they were making wasnt musical. besides the singing wat a great band.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

winner.

18. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, the most out there stuff I listen to for time is Radiohead, who do indeed have some great stuff. My favourates for time signitures are 2+2=5 with it's beginning in 7/8, and The Tourist alternating between 9/8 and 16/8.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what about like 8/16?

anyone know any songs in /16?

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    8/16? Wouldn't that just be playing in 2/4?