Weirdness! HEllllllp!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, May 11, 2005.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Okay now that i have your attention, I was playing my bass today and i really haven't had it that long, but I was slapping on it and one of the pickups quit working. ???? I have a J/P combo on the bass and a balancer knob on it to mix the signal between the two. When i am all the way on the P pickup everything is fine but when I select all the way to the J pickup it cuts out the E and A strings. Should I just look into getting a new set of better quality pickups or just try to have the J pickup replaced or fixed. Anyone have any experience with the Ibanexz soundgear basses. I am thinking i might just have overloaded the coil. Please help. TIA
    ( I wasn't sure where to post so I posted in here and the bass forum. I appreciate the help)
    By the way it is a Ibanez SDGR SR 400 for 2005.
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you bought this new, it sounds like you have a good case fr some warranty work. I'd contact the store you bought it from to check on getting it fixed under a warranty claim.

3. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Yeah it was new. I am taking it in on Monday to have them look at it. I never thought that my mad skills could kill a pickup. As someone put it "slap it into submission". Already check the battery and as far as i can tell today all the pots are working within normal parameters. So i figure a faulty pickup. Maybe time to upgrade. :D
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry to break it to you, but you didn't overload the coils ;)

If the D and G are sounding fine, then it sounds like these pickups are inline humbuckers - that is, one coil to cover E and A and another for D & G.
    It's possible the wiring from the E/A coil has come loose, resulting in a loss of sound.
  5. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    lol yeah i figured. How would i go about fixing it. I would like to fix it myself if i could. I appreciate the help.