1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weirdness! HEllllllp!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, May 11, 2005.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Okay now that i have your attention, I was playing my bass today and i really haven't had it that long, but I was slapping on it and one of the pickups quit working. ???? I have a J/P combo on the bass and a balancer knob on it to mix the signal between the two. When i am all the way on the P pickup everything is fine but when I select all the way to the J pickup it cuts out the E and A strings. Should I just look into getting a new set of better quality pickups or just try to have the J pickup replaced or fixed. Anyone have any experience with the Ibanexz soundgear basses. I am thinking i might just have overloaded the coil. Please help. TIA
    ( I wasn't sure where to post so I posted in here and the bass forum. I appreciate the help)
    By the way it is a Ibanez SDGR SR 400 for 2005.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you bought this new, it sounds like you have a good case fr some warranty work. I'd contact the store you bought it from to check on getting it fixed under a warranty claim.

R

3. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Yeah it was new. I am taking it in on Monday to have them look at it. I never thought that my mad skills could kill a pickup. As someone put it "slap it into submission". Already check the battery and as far as i can tell today all the pots are working within normal parameters. So i figure a faulty pickup. Maybe time to upgrade. :D

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry to break it to you, but you didn't overload the coils ;)

If the D and G are sounding fine, then it sounds like these pickups are inline humbuckers - that is, one coil to cover E and A and another for D & G.
    It's possible the wiring from the E/A coil has come loose, resulting in a loss of sound.

5. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    lol yeah i figured. How would i go about fixing it. I would like to fix it myself if i could. I appreciate the help.