Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weirdness in TV advertising...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey is anybody else here noticing the weirdness in TV ads lately? Burger King has that creepy-looking King guy whose expression never changes, you see a guy waking up, looking out the window, and there's that creepy King head staring at him, never blinking, never looking away, then he offers up his King Heart-Attack-On-A-Bun breakfast sammich...AND THE GUY TAKES IT!!!???!!! :eek:

The other company is a well-known brokerage firm that takes real people talking about investing, and "cartoonifies" them, with facial expressions and all! Those ads creep me out as well! Anybody else notice the "weirdness/creepyness factor" being ratcheted up on TV or elsewhere?

2. It's right up there with sex appeal these days.

3. desivora

desivora

Aug 5, 2005
    I hate that Burger King commercial. Why did they pick that weird king? He's not really that memorable, he's just kind of sick to look at.

4. isn't the insurance commercial company doing cell shading?
    anyways, i posted a thread about commercials being too weird a while ago, and we came to the conclusion that you will remember the ad, therefore use their product...

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The sex appeal thing in commercials is what really makes me chuckle. It seems like every ad throws in some glimmer of sexual suggestiveness, even if it is something incredibly small and/or pointless.

"do you like pork and donuts?! *cut to guy looking surprised* then try new pork and donut flavored foot cream! *cut to guy looking happy with girl who smiles suggestively* *end*"

more or less

6. I happen to think the BK commericials are brilliant, not that I eat much fast food at all. The King is hilarious. Everyone just takes his existence in stride. I love it.

7. +1

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No way!!

The ones where he is playing football are awesome. I like the Buffalo Bills one best.

-Mike

9. Zee King iz your zubconciuos desire to zsleep with your mother! Vhen zee king hands you a meatnormous zandwich, It reprezents your feelingz that you have inadiquate zsize, vishing that you vere "meatnormous". Zhis frustration of not being "meatnormous" leads you to hate your father because ultimatly you cannot pleaze your mother. Ergo you hate zee Burger King.

Now thats creepy :D

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When you say "sick", do you mean good or bad? I can't tell.

I think the weirdest commercials I've seen were from Capital One, where the "annual fee"(?) barbarians have retired and are working at an amusement park.

Then, there's the one with David Spade, where he tortures the "new guy" actor using a voodoo doll, dragging him all over the place.

Weird.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, they have Irish accents with Russian names? Weird? No. A matter of ad agencies not doing their homework? Yes.

12. Does anyone else get like a huge upwelling of irritation and anger when they see one of those stupid "Im full!!!" Taco Bell commercials. I dispise those commercials.

13. I wanted to dress up like the BK King for Halloween because it was the scariest thing I could think of. But I didn't have a big creepy head to wear. :p

14. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I saw a commercial for Warming Massage and Personal lubricant from the makers of Vaseline.

I won't try to explain it. :rolleyes:

AuG

15. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    The King is by far the best. He reigns supreme over any other commercial character.

16. desivora

desivora

Aug 5, 2005
    I meant sick as a bad thing, but it doesn't look like many others agree.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks.

I think as far as ads go, the Burger King one's pretty tame. I think they wanted to create a counterpart to Ronald McDonald without making a long term commitment to an actor playing the part.

18. I like those HP printer ads where they have the white frames and stuff is moving in and out of them.

Hard to explain but fun to watch.

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like that one...it's not the same kind of dehumanizing creepyness of the ones I brought up. The HP ones are actually clever.