1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weirdness on gc.com

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by R&B, Jul 30, 2012.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Not sure where to post this, so please read on...mods, please move as appropriate.

I was looking at a little guitar combo amp (Acoustic Lead Guitar Series 20 watt) earlier today on guitarcenter.com on my iPad. A strange popup in Chinese appeared. I clicked "show in English" and it said something about International shipping being available. When I dismissed the popup, the price of the amp increased by 20% from $69.99 to $83.99 before my eyes! (Price at MF is still $69.99.) A bunch of other prices on the GC page increased simultaneously.

Then later I tried to compare the Fender Frontman amps on GC and MF sites. Earlier they were featured on both sites. They are still offered at MF at the same prices, but show unavailable at GC.

Is this the tip of some iceberg of differential pricing? Is Fender cracking down on GC for some reason? Has anyone seen a similar pattern when shopping for deals on bass gear between the sites?

SL

Edit:

The mystery deepens. On a hunch, I cleared the cache and cookies from Safari on the iPad. Voila, prices back to normal with only minimal discrepancies between GC and MF. Fender back in stock at GC. .??? Weird indeed. Guess the prices depend on where the site thinks you are located. FYI.

2. wemmick

wemmick

May 23, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The biggest red flag in your post is "A strange popup in Chinese appeared."

This could mean that either your PC or GC's servers have been compromised. I would be wary of entering credit card data on any site until after you've given your computer a thorough virus scan.

3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Later, got a similar popup referring to availability of GC shipping to Ireland, followed by re-pricing of the whole page in Euros. !!

It's an iPad...no reports of any malware of which I'm aware. Funny business for sure. Thanks for the advice though, seems wise.

SL

4. The "weirdness" is your iPad! Quickly pack it up all snuggly-like and ship it to me...;)
    I'm confident I know what the problem is. However, it may take me some time to complete the diagnosis. Yeah, that's the ticket...:smug:

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    It happened to me too on my laptop. You just click 'cancel Chinese shipping and return to the U.S.' and the prices go back down.

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    They've revamped the shipping part of their website a bit. Mine was Romanian! I noticed that the shipping charges have increased a bit too. :(