Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Mar 4, 2001.

1. i have a fender mex.fivestring jazz, when i adjust either pickups volume i get a loud buzz unless both are on exactly the same volume, anyone know how i can fix this or is it normal?
  2. as far as i know its a fender jazz trademark.
    my MIA does the same thing. i think if you search around you might find the answer. maybe changing the pickups.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Since they're single coil-pickups, it's normal for them to buzz or hum. When they are at the same volume, they're humbucking each other. That's what humbuckers are all about.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, this is a very common and well-known phenomenon. The more recent MIA Fenders have what are labelled "noiseless" pickups, but I don't know how well they work. The tone junkies on the Fender forum say that to get that classic tone, you have to put up with the noise and any alterations change the sound away from what they want.

This is also one of the reasons that Roscoe Beck developed the pickups on his Fender signature bass the way he did with the humbucking toggle switch options. He loved the classic sound of his '64 JBass, but some situations/rooms (e.g. fluorescent lights)caused so much buzz that it was very hard to get a decent sound. The RB5 humbuckers have options that sound very close to the single coil passive sound, but eliminate the normal hum.
  5. ok i think i understand but these arent humbuckers, ut there is nothing i can do to eliminate anyof the sound? caUSE Its pretty loud, its just something that happens though is it?
  6. you can try screening the pickup cavity routs- self adhesive aluminium (copper is reputed to be better though) foil lining the routs and connected to ground.

the Trace Elliot T-bass (made by Status) was a Jazz style bass with a third J shell housing a humcancelling phantom coil hidden under the pickguard - single coil pickups but no buzz whatever the pickup setting.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

The simplest way is just to avoid playing near any electrical equipment like TV, Computers etc. and especially strip lighting or lights with dimmer switches. The buzz or hum is because the pickups are "picking up" some electrical signal, so if you avoid these sources, you avoid the noise.
  8. easier said than done at a gig, unless you've got a very long lead/wireless and can do the gig from outside the venue!:D
  9. haha, yeah electrical stuff is everywhere!!
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I have found quite the opposite! I did use the Roscoe Beck signature 5 as my main bass for quite a while and as I mentioned, it has the option of switching between single coil and humbucking pickups. The single coil option is the closest to a "classic" J-Bass sound and was my preferred option, but it did buzz - but no problem as I could opt for humbucking if needed.

Anyway, in my experience, the buzzing would happen quite a lot at home - the room I practice in has TV, Computers, Sequencer, lights with dimmers etc.

But when I actually played gigs with the same bass I found that in virtually every situation, I could use the single coil option and it sounded great. Most stages don't have TVs or Computers on them and the lights are usually away from the stage and pointing at it from a distance. The band I play in mostly, is 13 or 14 people with lots of percussion and a slight buzz would hardly show up once we get going anyway! But even so, I must say that there were very few gigging situations where I could detect even the slightest buzz or hum.

If you think about it, this must be the case, as the Fender Jazz has been one of the (if not the) most widely-used basses in live bands over the last 30 years or so. OK so it buzzes in your room at home, but who cares as long as it sounds great at the gig?!!
  11. point well taken!! you are right there...
  12. I disagree:D
    I've found pretty bad electrical interference at quite a few venues, eg. The Redeye and The Dublin Castle in London, and JB's in Dudley near Birmingham- it was due to buzzing from the EMG Select J p/up in my Precision Plus at that venue (LOTS of lights) that made me decide to fit a double Jazz humbucker to my Warmoth P style bass (run usually S/C but switched to parallel when there's buzzing).
  13. Bruce Lindfield

But we were talking about the Fender Jazz bass not a P-type. The RB5 is based on the J and modeled on the sound of his 64 Jazz by Roscoe Beck.

I do think it's funny though, the way that "funko" wants to agree with both of us - it reminds me of that character in the "Fast Show" where they are all drinking in a pub and Paul Whitehouse plays somebody called "Dave" I think, who changes his mind about the topic under discussion every time somebody says something. :D
  14. yeah i do sound like quite the follower on here dont eye?? haha, well i'm not really, i just think your all making good points and you all have far more experience then me probably so! just respecting!
  15. -the body and neck style may be a precision, and there's a P pickup at the neck, but there's a jazz bass pickup at the bridge, so that qualifies it for a mention in a topic about jazz bass pickups.
    and the double jazz pickup I fitted to my warmoth bass is very similar to the pickups on the Roscoe Beck 5, but in 4string format.

anyway, I thought the topic had moved on to differing levels of electrical inteference at home and at gigs, regardless of the bass involved?

yeah, I know the Fast Show sketch you're on about:D

so, Funko, what's the best way to eliminate hum from a J bass? :D
  16. hahahaha, i think i'm even more confused now dude! :D
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Well I still think there are an awful ot of people out there playing passive Fender Jazz basses at live gigs without any problem - it must be the best-selling bass ever or tied with the Precision and I can think of a vast number of examples - like I hear no hum on Jaco's Birthday concert album or anything he did live.

I think in the 70s and 80s - virtually every band I went to see - and there were hundreds - the bass player had a Fender Jazz, from Led Zeppelin to Echo and the Bunnymen!
  18. true, and a hell of a lot of people use standard Strats, and Gibsons with P90 single coils- and now this topic (with a tenous link to "setup" to start with) will surely get kicked over into "pickups". or even "off topic". or just binned.
  19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey friend make sure youre ground wire on your out put is connected well! This is another of the thousands of fender problems! Fender needs to hire some people that know how to soder!
  20. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    funkopotimus is definitly the coolest username ever