Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weirdo Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Mar 24, 2004.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Man, I saw this freaky spector today. Blue NS 2, SN 827 which I think makes it an 85, but it had these seymour duncan pickups that had switches on them. Three of them, you fiddle around with the switches, and it changed the tone. So, there is 8 combos on each pickup, and a lot of them sucked, but a couple sounded great.

I am working on getting a pic, but I couldn't find any info on it. Just figured I'd ask you guys if you have seen them. He was wanting to trade me for a bass I got, but I can't find much info on those switch pickups.

2. I remember those pickups when they came out--they've essentially got little B/M/T boost switches--but I'm pretty sure they're not made anymore, nor were they ever standard equipment on Spectors. Probably just a retrofit from somebody who got tired of the original EMGs.

Mike

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had those on an old Ibanez EX model that I played for a number of years. I remember that I used to constantly fiddle with them. They were all right, I guess, certainly much better than the stock pickups. You can still find them of E-Bay now and again.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    They're called active e.q. pups. Check the Duncan site, they still may make them. I had a pair, a PJ set with 3 blue/white dips and a PJ set with 2 red/white dips. Sold them both to a dude in New Zealand. But I got a set of Lightnin Rods that came with a flyer with info on both types - and I know Duncan still puts out Lightnin Rods. The Duncan shpeel on 2 dip pups is:

Switch 1 shifts coil resonance from downward from 22 KHz to 6.4 KHz on the neck pup, on the bridge pup downward from 17 KHz to 4.9 KHz. The effect is to give a more focused sound with a harder attack.

Switch 2 gives a broad band boost of 4 dB for the neck and 5 dB for bridge.

They were decent pups. I thought the dips on the pup was pretty bright, beats going into the control bay like EMGs. The great thing about them was that you could drop them into the existing harness in a bass, ad a battery clip and stereo jack and you was done. I dropped them into the stock harness in an Ibanez GSR 200 and they were definetly passable for sound. So for about $65 you get active preamp with pups, decent sound, no bass alteration, and no cramped control bay. Try to pull that off with any other setup. And they could hold they own with the Barts, EMGs, and Aggies cause I had them at the same time and would alternate basses.

5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks a lot guys. Dude just made me an offer for a trade, which I will probably take. Most likely will fiddle with it a while before I trade it into the abyss of GAS. I had a blast with it the other day, man what a weird setup! Good idea, but I can see why it died out. Too many options is not always a good thing.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania

I saw those types of switches on some Basslines p'ups. I thought it was a bad idea. Cleaning the pots on my control array is one thing. How do you deal with it if these start getting noisy.

Still, an older Spector is a nice find. What are you putting on the block?

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This guy really wanted a beat up Kinal I had, so we worked some crazy deal involving compex numbers and applied physics. Maybe not, but it did involve that beat up Kinal and some other stuff in a group thing.

I think about that acacia some, how is it treating you?

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Acacia and the Smith are both totally fab.

I really wanted a 6 again. I've been working out JSBach on it and more chording anhd tapping. It's been inspirational. I still can't slap on a 6 though. Had some moderate work done to it last year by matt artinger (www.artingerguitar.com). He filled in some fretboard surface cracks, leveled and refinished it, then put on new fretwire. Best playing 6 I've ever touched. Super action. I can't get a good blended tone with the p'ups; but individually I love the tone. I'm considering installing an active pre. Something with phase cancelling. It's a bit noisy and I've reverted to using a scrunchy around the neck to help dampen.

I just got my Smith back from Ken's factory in Perkasie. They pulled out the electronics, shielded the cavity, and rewired the whole thing. It's very quiet and super playing. They did a nice set up and installed Burners, but I dropped the action way down. That neck was meant to fly on. He gave me the story on this bass. It was built in NYC and was a special order for someone in Italy. However, the deal didn't go through because of shipping costs that the customer didn't want to absorbe (something like that). I guess JRBrown did some work on this bass at some point. I'm thinking of getting a complete surface refinish done to it to bring out the beautiful wood.

Right now, I'm between gigs. Getting a good deal of wood shedding in, however, I can't wait to find a good situation and bust loose with these babies.

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That is great to hear! If you got any clips of you on those, I would love to hear them.

Talked with the owner again today, he said he bought it new in 85, and got the bass with those pickups in it. Said Stuart was trying stuff out at the time. I am going to try and confirm this, but I did take some pics. Will get one up this evening.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Let us know what you think about those pickups. I found a NOS set a few years ago, and have never put them in anything. I'd be interested to hear your impressions on them.

11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know if you guys really care, but here is a pic. Sent an email to Spector and spectorworld to see if they actually did come with this as an option right before the Kramer thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. From the looks of it, that's an imported Kramer NS-2A model, which were first made in '87. The black hardware, dot inlays, and finish color are giveaways. Does the serial number have and "NS" in front of it, and is it on the control cover or on the back of the headstock? They came standard with "Spector"-labeled pickups--the Duncans are almost certainly an after-market replacement.

Mike

13. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It is NS 827 and it is on the control plate. Thanks for all the info Mike. I am still trying to figure out what is up with it.

14. Definately one of the Kramer Korean-made NS-2A's as it appeared, then. The guy might just be mis-remembering exactly which year he got it. As you can see, though, they're still fine basses.

Mike

15. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks a lot for that info Mike! It was at least cool to check those pickups out, great sounding and playing bass.