Welcome Rufus Philpot!

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by paul, Feb 9, 2006.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    We've been fortunate here at TalkBass to have introduced several new great Pros to our forums in the past few months. Rufus Philpot is no exception. If you need a primer, be sure and check out his feature interview with SMASH: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209266

Thank you, Rufus, for being a part of TalkBass, and sharing some of your time with the TB community ;)
  2. Rufus,

Welcome to TB!!! I am a good friend of Joe Deninzon (and Alex Skolnick) in NYC. I met you at one of his shows at the Knitting Factory back @2000.

Glad to see that you are in the LA area!! I am right around the corner in the Silverlake area so I can't wait to catch one of your gigs at the Baked Potato!!

Ok, now tell us all about the piles of cash and women in Poland......... ;)

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Welcome Rufus!

I still have a sampler CD with a Planet X track on it that I was very impressed by. The only reason I didn't buy it was lack of money. Today I think I'm getting a job for sure though and I'll be sure to pick it up.

4. hey Rufus,

this is Stew in Carey Nordstrand's shop. great to see your forum on TB!

very cool meeting you and I'm hoping to catch another gig soon.

really enjoyed the instructional DVD and I want to pick up another couple of copies for students.

now, is there any chance of a solo album any time soon?

all the best,

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Rufus. I just checked out your site and sound clips. I really love your JVR trio clips. Sweet groove on Three's a Crowd. That's my kind of music man! Nice growl and tone on your bass too!

I am a semi-pro player. been playing long enough to have developed some bad habits I'm sure. sighs. I work every week-end in a blues/soul/R&B/funky groove oriented trio. I studied and learned my scales years ago, but use it or loose it. Never got dextrous at reading. But I have a great ear having cut my teeth on jazz standards, big band years ago etc. I can still read changes fairly well and can hold my own laying down a nice bass line with 'real book' jazz standards et all.

I have been stuck with my solo's for quite some time. Seems I always play the same solo. sighs. One thing I notice and admire in most solo's ()bassist's or otherwise) is their dexterity with flowing in and out of 16th note lines etc. I never got the hang of playing 16th note lines, though I understand the meter, rythimn and the counting. Without being a 'music reader', what do you recommend for an approach to learning 16th note bass lines and adding 16th notes in my solo's? Gary
  6. xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA

I'm definately a fan of Planet X. It's great to have a pro like you on the forum who plays prog metal (as well as other things). I'm totally geeking out about :p

I also liked you're interview with TB and your emphasis on reading music. It's something I'm definately working on.

One thing I would love to know is how you structure your practice time. How much is spent on scales/chords, how much spent reading, how much spent listening and transcribing etc. Or is it more organic than that?
  7. You should also definitely be working on your spelling :D
  8. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

Welcome to TB! Not too long ago I got my hands on a Down to the Bone CD. Nice. It provided an upbeat, sublime, and groovy listening experience. I have been looking forward to your forum. I'm gonna go check out your website...

9. xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    Good catch Alex. Guilty as charged :ninja:
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Welcome Rufus! Good to have you here!!
  11. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Welcome Rufus... what bass did you use when you recorded three's a crowd? Killer jamz
  12. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

I went to your website and listened to the two JVR Trio tunes. WOW! :hyper: Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about! I absolutely dig what I heard. I did a search for JVR Trio; however, I didn't come up with much information. Your website says that the tunes are from the "Debut Album". Where can I find more info on it?

13. Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Hi Rufus, welcome to Talkbass :)

I must admit I didn't realise you were British until I read the interview. It was good to see you mentioning Laurence Cottle who is an amazing musician (I'm lucky enough to play in a trio with his brother, Dave, who also runs my local jazz club so I've seen him play countless times).

14. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for checking the tunes out-the JVR stuff was recorded in NYC in 2003/4-however I am hoping we can get the stuff out on a cd-but possibly re recorded with a new line up out here in LA...Or a combination of the NYC material and some new stuff I am writing at the moment.
    The great thing about being out in LA right now is I am still getting to play with new people all the time, so I am trying to figure out what might be the best combination of players for the new material...
    As for the question re;what bass I used on the JVR stuff-mainly 1990 Ken Smith 'BTG' 6 string-the one w/ graphite in the neck...GREAT bass-still have it-there is a pic of it maybe on the gallery section on my website??
    Anyone interested, please drop me a line at rufus@rufusbass.com -put "mailing list" in the subject, and I will keep ya posted on cd releases etc..
  15. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Welcome! I've been waiting forever for this forum to open up. :D
  16. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Welcome!!! A whole new fresh perspective on bass in the forum is always welcome!!! Now, hopefully, I can compete with my guitarist (who's been learning John Patrucci's stuff)!

I'll be learning what you can teach mostly second handed...simply because I'm one of those people who can't think of the questions until someone else asks them...

Glad to see you here!!!
  17. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Good to see you on here rufus. I took a lesson from you a while back in november and have been able to benefit from it tremendously. It was basically a lesson that worked out some flaws in technique and you taught me how to switch hand positions. I still havent mastered it but it has helped me a lot. Good to see you on here. I enjoyed the lesson and really enjoyed hearing u play the one or two times you were giving me an example of something.

I still have your number so when I am ready to expand and when I become more comfortable and work out some other kinks I will definitely be back
  18. G'day Rufus -

I saw your show (as part of the Viril tour) in Brisbane and was blown away....even more blown away than when I saw Billy Sheehan in the flesh at a vai concert. :)

Best concert I'll ever see for AUS$25 :)
  19. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the compliment! We always try and give people their money's worth!
    Billy is v. cool isn't he?
    We were just hanging out at the Baked Potato here in Los Angeles after one of our shows with Virg (the Quartet w/ Tony MacAlpine)...What a gent!
    Keep an eye out too for the new Planet X cd which we hope will be out at the end of the year (at last!!!)
  20. rufusbass

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    So- i thought I would go over some stuff-a few people here, and a LOT of my students have been asking me about soloing, developing good 16th note lines in solos and grooves too.
    Transcribe stuff-not just a few licks, but sit down and write out complete solos or bass parts. learn to play 'em note perfect along with the original.
    This is great for a) technique b)ear training c) expanding your own melodic AND rhythmic vocabulary...I used to write out whole Pat Metheny, Michael brecker sax solos, Patitucci stuff, Jeff berlin solos (his solos are usually very 16th note based-fluid, be bop vocabulary-excellent
    use of chord extensions,chromaticism and wide intervallic stuff.His solo on Holdsworth's "Water on the Brain" is definitely a benchmark in his career. It's full of cool (and quite stealable lines) , triadic superimposition, chromatic approach note ideas, four note sequential ideas etc, etc...Study it SLOWLY. Again, really SLOWLY-then work up to tempo.
    Transcribe Anthony Jackson-his lines on Michel Camilo's Why Not? c.d.
    Also Casa Loco and Barry Finnerty's "You Got It" are amazing...
    I am going to be dealing with some of this stuff inthe next dvd's I am recording too..