Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Welcome - Taproot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Plucky, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    ive been waiting for this to come out and now its almost released im willing to buy a copy asap. i like their style, they are pigeonholed as "nu-metal" though but i think that they dont have that linkin park/limp bizkit vibe. poem is now being played a little on mtv; nevertheless thats not a good sign at all. anyways, this band is so freekin great and i think they should have been recognized for their work both live and into the studio. so what do ya think about them: good, bad, bleh?

not spammin, but you'd help a lot (more than youve already done if you clicked before - thanks to the one that clicked too!) if you pushed your mouses left button over the link below, thanks!

2. i like them and i want the new album

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Three reasons I wish them well;

1. They have actual vocals with melodies!!! (WHAT A CONCEPT!!! Who would have ever thought of that?!?!).....a refreshing change from these dime-a-dozen atonal screamers who all seem to be trying to sound like a a bull being castrated on every friggin' song, (e.g. the no-talent "vocalist", using that term very loosely, in Mudvayne; don't know what his name is this week - they all changed their names again for their new album). :rolleyes:

2. They made Fred Durst have a now-famous hissy fit that showed what a short pants, "girly-boy" that little jerk really is.

3. Unlike many bands in the "nu metal" category, Lipscomb knows that a bass just isn't a B string that only goes up to the 5th fret. I think his lines on the song "Smile" on the "Gift" album were very decent.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    isn't lipscomb the guy in the yamaha bass ads that wears his bass funny...i've never heard them, but that guy sure does hold his hands weird, too...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yowzah, Nep. It cracked me up in those ads where the string he was obviously hitting wasn't the same string his left hand was fretting!

But, in light of so much non-talent in nu metal today, he does a decent job......don't expect Entwistle but he seems to at least understand the instrument. His recorded sound is so good, I have a hard time believing he wasn't handed one of the great basses that recording studios keep on hand. He doesn't seem to be trying to hide under the low freq's as many do.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll have to give 'em a whirl, then...if i could just get those yamaha ads out of my mind... ;)

7. I saw them live, and his sound rocked.

What Yamaha does he play?

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    an rbx 5 stringer, i do believe

9. they are playing an all ages show early at a club I bounce at show next saturday. I seen the first video and it was so-so but I will give them another shake next week and shoot the breeze with them and see if they are cool before I give a definite thumbs up or down

10. cool guys, just didnt think they are that ground breaking. pretty much like alot of others before them. the bands that played before them seemed a little better to me. pulse ultra, reminded me of a lighter Mudvayne with a weak singer, and project 86 was some balls out stuff I dont know how to describe it, maybe punk/core??? I dunno but I liked them

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They sound alright, I have one beef with them. They are part of the screaming "break" trend. What the hell is with that. It seems in every nu-metal song, someone is screaming break. Linkin Park, Drowning Pool, and now Taproot instantly jump to my attention. I liked that song until they shouted break everytime it came up in the chorus... just a pet peeve.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My sisters description, "like Incubus, but not as fruity". :D;)

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... Incubus use to be so great... such sellouts, to know they use to be that good and now they are... that bad... GRRRR :mad: