Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Welcome to square one.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

So my fiancée broke up with me recently and during the entire time we were together my bass playing has been sparatic. I never really got to spend the amount of time playing that I wanted and now that she is gone I have had problems working up the strength to sit down and play.

I know little. I can play some intros and and a couple of very easy songs.

I don't need an attitude change, I want to play. I want to have a set "lesson" to start practicing with. I need to start at square one. Anything you guys can reccomend is awesome.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    2 best things to do when your first starting out: Get a teacher and have an open mind. I started out self taught, but there are just certain things that having a teacher can really help you out with. By keeping an open mind you allow yourself to play stuff that you wouldnt normally play, even though classical might not be your thing, learn it, you'll be suprized of what you learn.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Get a teacher. Get a copy of "The Complete Electric Bass Player" by Chuck Rainey. This is easily the best "square one" book I've ever seen. Start at page 1 and actually try and assimilate the stuff, even though the begining is kinda silly. The reading and basic theory chapters are quite good though.