Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jamey Pittman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    Contains both standard notation and tablature. Transcribed from Duff McKagan's isolated bass track from the Appetite For Destruction LP. Isolated bass tracks are my favorite sort of reference material because I can pretty much guarantee the final transcription will be virtually identical to the artist's original performance, including every nuance that might otherwise be lost in a full mix. The bass lines Duff plays behind the second guitar solo in particular are quite good and often overlooked.

The MuseScore file can be downloaded here: Welcome to the Jungle

A .PDF file of the same transcription is attached to this post.

And finally, you can listen to Duff's isolated bass track here:

That's it for GNR tabs for the present time. I'll be transcribing several Cliff Burton-era Metallica tracks over the next few weeks using his isolated bass tracks from the master recordings in order to get them as close to perfect as possible.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. appreciate these tabs! do you take requests? lol

3. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    You are quite welcome, and I hope the transcriptions are both instructive and entertaining. I don't take requests. The amount of time and energy required to create transcriptions with this level of accuracy and attention-to-detail from scratch is not insignificant. As such, I'm not inclined to spend that level of focused effort on just any old song - it has to appeal to me personally and be a song that I'd spend the time to transcribe anyway. I'm sure you understand. That being said, you can feel free to throw a suggestion out there; I just might decide to transcribe it ... eventually. Or not. If the suggestion doesn't pique my interest, I'll simply ignore it. :)

Regards,

J

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Thanks - I (and I hope others) prefer sheet music over TAB.

5. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    I understand, and that's why I provide both systems of notation. Both have distinct advantages. I can read standard notation more easily, but I also appreciate that tab is extremely popular for a reason -- in some ways, it is better suited for precisely transcribing modern bass and guitar music (i.e., specifying which neck position a musical passage is played in when more than one is possible, depicting bends, slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping, natural harmonics, pinched harmonics, etc.). Personally, I would feel musically illiterate if I couldn't read and write standard notation, but I've never looked down my nose at those who ignore it in favor of tablature. I feel that both systems are completely valid and sometimes work best together in order to capture a performance with the most detail and accuracy. :)

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Doing both is good, and TAB can be a tool, but I think too many people use it as a crutch, rather than learning standard notation, which among things, allows you to communicate ideas to other musicians. I wish I could sight read like I could back in college.

Jamey Pittman likes this.
  7. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    A little late to the party, thanks a lot.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022