Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Welcome to the Theory Forum

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This forum is a part of the result of the "Improving the DB Forums" thread. We have a few more things in the works, but this is a start. I'd like to begin by moving all of the theory type threads from DB MISC to this location , and then hopefully everyone will post here when they have a theory question or topic.

Just for everybody's information, this forum should be used for ANY type of theory discussion, and is NOT intended to be restricted to any one or two particular styles or genres. As I teach both jazz and "traditional" theory as a large part of my day gig, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, but I am by no means suggesting that I am any kind of ultimate authority in these matters - just an individual with a vested interest. In other words, feel free to add your 2 cents worth at any time, regardless of how "official" your advice may be...this is all about sharing information, and I hope to learn as much as anyone here.

Last, I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the forum for a while until things get settled in a bit, and it would be nice if folks who find threads in other forums that they think might belong here would post the links to those threads in this thread - all I'd have to do then is move the thread in question here. In the meantime, I'll be moving all of the threads from the "Theory Links" MISC thread to this location. Please help pick up any strays you may find, and Enjoy!

2. Finally! I have little doubt that this will become one of TalkBass' most valuable resources.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    For real....would it be too much to link to this forum in the GI forum of BG?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm guessing that all these threads were just moved over here. i mean, i wasn't gone _that_ long. :D

i've been pusing for a music theory forum for 3 years (not too hard, just suggesting it :) ) i'm glad we finally got one.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So, how is this gonna relate to GI over in BG land?

Seeing as this is a theory forum, and theory is somewhat independant of instrument, presumably this won't be limited to DB discussion?

Or are we gonna get lynched if we start analysing Jaco's solo on Donna Lee? ;)

Are we gonna get lynched for even mentioning Jaco? :D

Or more generally, if this ventures into very non-DB territory?

Or will this forum be open to theory talk pertaining to all instruments, and all music, regardless of whether it's got anything to do with DB? If so, then I suppose this forum will be a new home for theory discussions which would otherwise have belonged in GI?

6. Lynched, maybe not, but I will track you down.:)

Seriously, we're at TalkBass, not TalkTrumpet, and this is the DB side. My vote is to be tolerant if discussion occassionally wanders, but to keep it relevant to DB playing.

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Hey, this is great! After reading through the FAQ, I see I miss stuff by not frequenting the BG side often enough

Let this forum go forth and be threadful...

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, for DB.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That was why I was hoping that the theory forum could be independant of the BG & DB sides. We SLAB players like to talk theory too ;)

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

For some of them, yes. But GI has always been a broader topic, and has traditionally included quite a few topics that won't belong here.

11. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Man, I had a nice long reply typed up and I crashed the darn computer. Well I'll be brief...

The suggestion to have a theory forum link on the BG side that links to this DB forum would not work well, IMO. User confusion ('how'd I end up on the DB boards?') coupled with forum software limitations (would have to 'hack' the forum list page) were two factors that I considered...

Two separate theory forums may be the only solution, if we want to go that route. A while back it was decided that by taking tablature out of General Instruction, there would be plenty of room for music theory in GI. As the number of posts/day continues to grow the increased topic separation resulting from a separate BG theory forum may be a good thing... one drawback would be newbie confusion (GI vs Music Theory - where to post a question on scales etc...) Hmm....

For now, I'd say that this forum should be of interest to the double bassist primarily...

12. I think this forum should actually be top-level.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was always under the impression that theory was instrument independant. :) after all, all the instrument related potential topics are well covered in existing forums.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    agreed. :)

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    We'll go down that road and see what happens, but try not to draw the line too severely...after all, as some have pointed out, theory is not instrument dependant. I think once it starts going we'll figure out what's right most of the time.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - theory is not related to any particular instrument, although there is theory about basslines and their construction, for example - but any such theory is always going to be as applicable to BG as it is to DB.

However, I think it is better to have this in DB as "generally" DBers are more serious about theory and a high proportion of BGers never come into contact with it - of course there are always exceptions, but I don't think it "hurts" any BGers to find themselves on the DB side!! ;)

My experience over the last few decades has been that if you take an interest in theory, you usually find yourself in the worlds of Jazz and/or Classical - where the assumption is DB anyway!

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, this is what I was thinking.

Paul, is this a possibility?

While Bruce is right about DBers generally being more interested in theory than BGers - some of us BGers like to talk theory just as much as you DB guys do.

I just think it might not be all that fair to limit the theory discussion to DB. I'd like to think that we could wander into Weather Report, or post-60s Herbie Hancock territory if we want to.

But then, since this is in the DB forum, and I'm not a DBer I guess I can't really say what I'd like to see in this forum and expect it to hold any sway.

Anyway, I agree with Pete, I think this should be a top level forum.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What you're basically saying there is what I said in reply to the original idea - that it should be a Jazz theory forum!

I think the distinction is that Jazz BG players tend to get involved with theory - whereas BGers who play other types of music generally don't (although there are always exceptions).

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, that does seem to be the trend.

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Is this a theoretical forum....:confused: