Well, as it turns out, the tone in my head is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, May 12, 2004.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    a P bass?

Ive had a SR5 as my only bass for about 4 years now. For the last year or so I've been trying to tame that puppy down some. I've been thinking of selling or trading for a jazz bass.

So I went to a couple of my local stores and started trying out some jazz basses: Pedulla, Fender, Ken Smith, Warwick. But they all had the same sort of bright zingy tone. So just for the hell of it I tried a Fender P.

Well wouldn't you know it, there it was, the tone that's been in my head lately. A freekin' Fender P.
    Deep, round, punchy as hell with a mellower top end than the Stingray5.

And here I thought my ears where all sophisticated and they got tickled by a passive American P bass.

I think I just found out what most of you already knew. The P bass just has THE sound

So it looks like a 3 tone sun burst, alder, rosewood P bass with tort guard is in my not too distant future.
  2. Yeah - Ps definately have a great bass sound - and with new strings they're killer! Deep and punchy!
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Just don't sell your SR5, this could just be a phase.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :D When I started getting into Fenders that was similar to my reaction. I was trying all kinds of active 5 strings with soap bars and just decided to pick up a p bass one day just for the heck of it. Now its all I ever use!
  5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Oh yeah I'll be keeping the SR5.
    Maybe I'l just get all of Leos' designs
    MM,P,J and a G&L :hyper:
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm sure you already know this, but strings can make all the difference in the world as to how SR5s sound.

But hey, I like P basses, too...well, I like how they SOUND, not so much how they PLAY.
  7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Now thats a good idea! :bassist:
  8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    For sure. I've been through just about every string there is including but not limited to:
    TI jazz flats
    TI Power bass
    All the Roto sounds
    All the Dr's
    All the D'Adarrios
    Most of the GHS
    and the Labella Flats.
    But finally I tried the Elixer Nanoweb. They're perfect
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Welcome to the club. A P-bass w/ flats is how I hear bass in my head.
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    g&L 2000 with flats

you can get a P bassish tone with the actives switched off

then come back to the "bright side" without havin to switch basses : )
  11. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, I remember when that happened to me. I've been playing bass for at least 12 years and 10 of those I managed to never touch a Fender. I used to despise them (no good reason for it). A friend of mine asked me to do some work on a modded Sting P-Bass (EMG pickup, new frets replaced the stock stuff), one thing led to another and I fell in love with it's sound, and I ended up buying it from him.

It's now my main axe :D
  12. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    My brother (a better bass player than myself) and I have always had a theory that the perfect arsenal is a P-Bass and Stingray. The P will cover ANY gig, yet if you long for that grinding, cutting tone, grab the Stingray. It also works as a live/studio setup as the general rule of thumb is Stingray live and P in the studio.

This simple formula works, but has yet to stop my GAS or constant acquisition of new basses. It reminds me that I need to pick up another P-Bass.
  13. AH! A man after my own heart!

That is exactly how I feel a Precision should look! ;)

Rick, if at all possible, try to play one of the reissue P basses. I played a white Fender '57: ash body/maple neck in Sam Ash in February, and I almost bought it on the spot. Everything you like in a regular P, but with a slightly warmer tone. The neck is a little wider too.

What a bass! :bassist:

Good luck whatever you buy.

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I'm really digging this 62 RI

15. I'm with MJ! way back when I shopped around a lot, I picked up a '57 RI just to compare price tags with the other P's. THis baby stood out! It was a "beaten" 3-tone sunburst, gold pickguard, maple/maple, worn neck finish... it was so wonderful!!! :)
  16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Similar experience for me. It took me 28 years of playing to realize what would be most appropriate for me is a Jazz Bass... :rolleyes:
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i use elixir nanowebs on my godin...love em.