Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well... bought my first Fender today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Something pissed me off at work, so I decided to take a trip to GC for the hell of it. I ended up coming home with a Geddy Lee. I've NEVER liked Fender basses, although I've owned a few from trades, but this one is exceptional. I'd probably replace the pups as others have suggested, but the action and punch fit like a glove.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    plus, if u dont like it, they will take it back no questions asked.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just recently picked up a Geddy myself, and like you, I've mostly been into other basses (my mains are Zon, Roscoe, and MTD), but there's just something totally undeniable about these Geddys. Had to have it.

Maybe it's the combo of my rig with this bass, but I prolly won't change the pickups myself. I love the tone. Very 70's to me, only WAY lighter. :)

Admittedly, I've always been a Fender fan from way back, and have a pretty sweet P, too, but mostly as a "collector, just for fun bass". The Geddy's different, tho. Definitely the best Fender I've ever played... of MANY... including their USA Deluxe series'. While they'll never be my "main" axe again, I do still love the organic sound and feel you get from them (that is, until you mod the b'jeezuz out of'em :) ).

P.S. Please post which pickups you end up with.

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    That's exactly what happened with me. I'm not sure which pups are going in, but I will definately post the results.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always been an advocate of "judge every bass on its own merits". Just because you try 5 basses made by Brand X and don't like any of 'em, that doesn't mean you won't like #6. Good for you for keeping an open mind.

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I've always kept an open mind when it comes to basses. This one was just hanging there saying "play me", so I listened. I'm glad I did. It helped that saw some recent positiive feedback from brother TBers, so the decision to try was easier.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, AJ, I love my Geddy.

Vics, you keep talking about your Geddy being light. Mine is heavier than any of my basses, except for my newly acquired Peavey T-40. My Geddy weighs 11.5 lbs.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, though not light compared to my Zon, definitely light compared to the late 70's Jazz I used to have an (apparently) most of the 75 reissues I've read about (at 10-11 pounds). Mine's only about 9.5 pounds (just weighed it), and to be honest, I was surprised it was that much. I woulda' guessed under 9 by the way it feels when I wear it.

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Having a Cirrus does that to a man. All my basses seem "heavy" after playing it for a while.

10. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Mine is 10 lbs.