1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

well bp mag did it again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    There was a thread a while back about bp mag only reviewing high end gea and never listing cons. Well they reviewed the new vm squiers and still listed no cons. Said nothing negative what so ever. Now I know these are great basses, but come on. They're 300 bucks. They aren't perfect, johnk can attest to this.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    No cons given a $300 price tag.

BP writes taking the price of the bass in mind. A $300 bass is going to have different criteria than a $2500 bass.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I've got a VM P

I have zero complaints

4. I don't know, My VM P is about as good as it gets, the build quality on it is amazing. I'm not surprised that the reviews found no "cons", I didn't. And John (K? I'm assumng) can only attest to the basses he personally has experienced, he himself has said this.

5. Same here for my CV Jazz. Cons = 0

:D

6. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    What are the cons? I saved $1500 to $2000?

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    They never list a con for anything.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    well, they haven't in many years...

9. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    I realize that johns experience was unique to him, however it goes to show there are problems with quality control. My green pbass started out a vm and the neck pocket was too large which made it shift in the body side to side. When they say no cons then that compares it to the 3000 dollar boutiques that they also reviewed.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No it doesn't. It only means that a Squier VM is a good bass at that price point. Only a fool would read that review and think a Squier is as good as a Sadowsky.

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've had a few students get vintage modified jazz basses as beginner basses. After going through a number of them and finding "good" ones, I have to say I'm more than impressed with these basses, especially at the price point. Better than much more expensive basses.

12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Has BP ever clarified this in print, or is it merely assumed by the readership?

Magazines that test products and sell advertising are always walking a fine line between anything-for-a-buck shilldom and telling inconvenient truths.

These days it seems like a co-dependency from hell, because the publishers and manufacturers totally need each other now more than ever. The question is: whose credibility is more up for grabs?

13. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    What makes a squier inferior to a sadowsky then? These are things that could be noted. Instead of 2 pages of virtually saying the basses are perfect.

To an ignorant new player that could be inferred. Especially with their last line in the review "They're not just good for their price range. They're just good."

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    A player that ignorant wouldn't be capable of reading the BP article.

15. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    haha

17. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I thought BP always had a disclaimer saying that the reviews was in keeping with the price of the bass. Cheaper basses aren't expected to have the level of quality of more expensive. I'm sure the Squire had some minor issues but they probably didn't exceed the threshold.

I remember a high end 5 string shootout issue they did 10 or so years ago and they were very picky about small details that I probably would not notice.

18. What about my (and many others') experience that would show the exact opposite, that the quality control in general is as good as any company's? You're making a lot of generalizations that are not born out by the majority of reports (that I've seen anyway, and that is quite a lot) about Squier's quality. Are they as good as a Sedowsky?
    Don't know, don't care, I can't afford a Sedowsky, but I can afford a Squier, and, along with the fact that is a well made, great sounding, great playing bass in my mind makes it a better bass than a Sedowsky. From all I've experienced and read, they deserve those positive reviews.

19. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    If the Squier CV or Deluxe had a different name on the headstock and cost $900...what would be the cons?

20. Natropath

Natropath

Apr 13, 2010
    I feel like about 4 or 5 years ago, sometime when Bill Leigh took over, they declared they wouldn't do negative reviews anymore. They recognized that in the space they have, negative reviews couldn't possibly be critically effective. Of course they are only going to put nice reviews; with 7 pages for reviews, who wants to read about crappy equipment?