Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, found ONE new Ibanez bass that i like.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Today i played an Ibanez Iceman bass. [​IMG]

The neck was really nice. Im tempted to compare it to a Rickenbacker. The bass balanced really nicely and had a pretty nice tone. Rich tone, nice sustain. Anyone else played it?

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I actually just played an Iceman yesterday. I agree about the neck, very nice. Fretwork is top notch and the finish seemed flawless from 3 feet. Closer than that and you can tell it's mass produced (no big deal for the price). I hated the look of the bass, I hated the high register cutout, and I hated the fact that the tuners would spontaniously drop tune the bass every once and a while. The last problem sounds like an isolated incident with these basses though.

Tone wise I thought it was ok. Didn't really strike me as anything special. It actually really reminded me of my Gibson LP bass that I loved so dearly a couple of years ago. Kind of muddy and not very articulate during the 16th note funk I play 90% of the time. I liked the bridge P/U solo'd the most out of all possible configs. It was fairly punchy and a tad more articulate than the neck or blended positions.

I really liked the playability, wasn't very interested in the looks and wasn't offended by the tone. It's a good buy if you can deal with the looks.

3. FUGLY!!! :p
    Have you tried the doug wimbish sig? very nice neck through soundgear with emgs

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Havent yet. Ive played the higher end Soundgears though and they feel nice but ive never liked the sound.

5. they're really nice...sound fairly different..only thing i dont like is the small neck...but its still a nice bass..one of the few soundgears i like...i think ibanez just made a 5 string version too...but 4 for me

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yuck, I hope you play in a metal band ;)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hehe not at all. actually quite a funky band. Im not saying i would ever buy it (dislike ibanez strongly) i just thought it was worth mentioning.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, they're alright for $400. I've owned 3 Ibanez in my life and am now through with the brand. The only Ibanez I'm gonna get in the future is an EDA900.

9. I have played a couple iceman basses. And they all sounded very good to me. And since I am a GWAR fan, I usually have an urge to buy one.

But they are great pick basses.

10. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I tried one recently. I didn't give it much of a workout, though, because the pickups were too high to the strings and the stings too low to the body for my liking--kept hitting my fingertips on the body when playing.