Well here I go again...... GAS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SONICATTACK, Feb 26, 2002.

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Having thought that I ended my search for the ultimate distortion pedal with the Budda Phat Bass. I began to feel, well discontent with the fact that the adventure was over. :rolleyes: I decided that I liked the Budda, but the sound was still a little organic for my taste so I decided to put the thing on Ebay and continue down the road of discovery. My next subject is the EBS multidrive. I already bought it from Bass Northwest, and it's on it's way. But if anyone has it already, please give me your thoughts.

Oh if you want my Budda you can by it on EBay @ this link

2. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000

I am interested in your comparison of the EBS and Budda, not only in the crunch, but in flexability and noise level. I saw your Ebay listing, but as you know it's hard to buy things without listening to the first.
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    What??? that is exactly what I look for in a overdrive(or distortion) sound for my bass....:confused: :confused:

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    I guess I should say that the sound that my bands need is a little more of a solid state distortion. Although I also like a little overdrive with my clean sound somtimes, and I heard that the EBS can switch between both. So I figured.... why not.

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Oh yeah keep in mind that this is the 4th pedal that I'm going to try out.. the previous ones were the PD7, Fulltone, then the Budda.

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun

I got the EBS in the Mail today. I only have 72 hours to try the thing out before my return period @ Bass Northwest ends, so I'm gettin nervous about this whole deal. I did A/B the two and I did come up with some conclusions. One problem I have is that I'm not going to be able to play with it in my bands untill next tuesday. So I have to pick one before friday, but I think I found out which one I want.
    So here's my 1 hour review: Budda Vs. EBS multidrive

Budda nailed the tube overdrive sound (obviously)
    The Budda has individual bass and treble controls.
    The range of distortion is mild to roar (although it takes drastic volume addjustments to compinsate for the gain changes)
    Budda is big (hense it's name) :rolleyes: 5x7 :eek: (I have a small pedal board so this is bad)
    The Budda has the typical tube hum

EBS's overdrive is really close, but not quite as good as the Budda's ( A little more Low end, and it doesn't have tubes which are not replaceable if your into the tube sound)
    EBS can switch between "Standard" overdrive, "Tubeism" and "Flat" (fuzz) I can hardly hear the differnce between Standard and Tubeism. The gain settings on the overdrive can go from none to roar (so a little more flexable than the Fat boy)
    Fuzz is definatly Fuzzy at higher gain settings.
    The case is only 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" so I have more room on my pedal board.

The EBS is $180 and the Budda costs $270 (I'm going to loose alot of money on this one but that's how it goes)

So I guess it's a toss-up. The EBS is definatly more flexable in the regard of size and selection of Distortions, but the Budda has the Classic tube sound. (because it has tubes).

Again it's up to the player and payer to do the thinkin.;)
  7. since they are both already payed for... KEEP BOTH AND MAKE A BIGGER PEDAL BOARD!!!!!
    or give one to me...