Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, here I go again! Revamping bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Feb 5, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    It seems like my small and portable rig for my rock band isn't getting the job done. I'm using 2 bag end 15's and an Ampeg B4r. The BE's sound great on stage but when I go out on the dance floor the low end dissapears. I had a thread about this subject a few weeks ago and people suggested I give the cabs more power. 500 watts per cab should be enough but the low end is still not there. Loudness is not an issue here they are very loud and cut through the mix, it's just a mid range sounding tone without that booty shaking rumble that I want, especially on the dance floor. Well I'm selling one of my basses, I've already had a couple of offers so I think I need to address this issue while I can. Portability is an issue but I guess if I have to ask band mates to help lift my gear onto stage so be it.
    I'll have about $800 to spend and I need to do it right this time, my wife is getting a little edgy about me trading off equipment. I'll be using my Ampeg B4r and I need a cab or cabs that will give me good mid range growl and low end rumble.
    I'm thinking about either an Ampeg 610 hlf (kind of heavy but I think I can slide it over the tailgate of my pick up with out having to lift it up and in). Or an Ampeg svt210 on top of a svt15. maybe a little more portable. I would probably trade one of the Bag Ends in on this or sell later and keep one for smaller gigs. Ideas? suggestions? am I nuts?

btw my previous rig was an Ampeg 18 over 410. Sounded like I want but lifting the 90 pound cabs was killing my back.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I remember one of the guys, maybe MikeyD, talking about bass that can be felt. I think me mentioned that a lot of Ampeg cabs had a big hump in efficiency in the 80 to 150hz range.

This was the room shaking frequency that many people liked from these cabs.

If my memory serves me correctly then perhaps you might be able to recreate that, just by boosting that range on your EQ?

Another thing to think of would be cabs that are known for huge amounts of bass, like the acme low b4. Get that in conjunction with a carvin DCM 1000 power amp, and keep one of the bag end 15s for your stage volume.

Good luck. :)

3. Look into trading your S15-D's in on a pair of S15B-D's. That should get the job done.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm... I wonder if putting an S18B-D under one of my S15d's would boost the low end out front?
    The cabs look bigger and are alittle heavier but not too bad. Are they front ported?

5. From the website, the S15B-D appears to be front ported, and goes about 10 Hz lower than the S15-D. I would imagine the S18B-D is front ported as well.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I noticed on their web site that the D10B-D also goes down to 40 Hz. I just sent Bass NW an email asking for prices. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I'm using the SVT 610HLF and I like it alot. It's the biggest cab that I can fit in yhe back of my Civic.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've used 4 different amps. Ampeg B4r 1000watts, Ampeg SVT 200T 350 Watts, Carvin R1000, Hartke 7000. I've used some of these amps with my old Ampeg 410 and 18 set up it sounded like rolling thunder! Also with my hartke 210 cab. Like I said on stage it sounds great and I'm sure mike through a decent(ours is wimpy) PA they sound great but as far as my rig covering the dance floor with booom,boom, booom low end it ain't happening. More like boink,boink,boink. I'm seriously thinking about putting an S18B-D under one of the S15-D's and seeing how that works. I don't know that much about speaker cab specs but it seems to me the S15-D wasn't designed to have alot of low end, but what itwas designed for it does very well.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Adding the BE 18 sounds like a good idea. The question is, how well will your Ampeg push it?

BTW who owns the PA? Adding some serious subs and amplification instead could make everyone sound better.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You could try using the Ampeg 18 you liked so much under one of your Bag End 15's.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I know this fly's in the face of the accepted physic's of the issue but....I had a friend that just went through this. Not knowing enough to know that it doesn't work, he put one cab on each side of the stage. It really did help the low end dispersion throughout the room.

In any event, it's freeeeee.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I can bridge the amp 1000 watts into 40hms so each speaker cab would get 500 watts

the pa system probably isn't going to change much. cheap bandmates.

Phat Ham: I would use the Ampeg 18 but I sold it to pay for the bag end cabs.

13. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Are you running through the house or band's PA? I run my Hartke Kickback to the board via the direct out on the amp and you'd swear I've got a stack of SVT's behind me. I've gone through the same thing you are a few times and just found that having a decent PA or a good soundman can work wonders.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A good PA and soundman "is" the best way but as he said... cheap bandmates. Been there, done that:rolleyes:

15. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, both the S15B-D and S18B-D are front ported. They have a wooden cover bolted over the port, and by default they are sealed cabs (and are very tight!). If you want even more low end and a looser sound, you can take the cover off and run them as vented cabs. The S18B is a killer.

I knew those S15-D weren't going to cut it, even with more power. They simply don't have the low end extension that bigger boxes have. If you're sold on Bag End, then the either of the big ones would make a big difference.

NB

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    cool, i just sold my bass so the bux are in hand :D

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think beefing up the P.A. would be something to think about.....a couple used powered subs would
    get the dance floor happening, and not too much money. People are so use to the sound killer low end these days....the have subs on their T.V.'s.
    You have to push air, and its hard to do that from the stage without being too loud.
    Just my two pennies:)

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Great.

Now you've got me worried about the second S15-D I was planning - maybe I should look at a S15B-D or S18B-D, too. I'm easily influenced tonight, I guess.

However, I'm still tempted to try and pick up one of your S15-Ds...

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aren't there stand-alone gigable powered subs out there? I didn't find much in the archive.

Here I go again - I don't even have my second Bag End yet, and I'm plotting a subwoofer... GAS sucks. Not.

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do but if I decide to sell one of the S15-D's I'll get in touch with you since you don't live that far from me.