1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, here is my upright....help identifying?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 2, 2008.

1. sold.

2. Just got a acoustic and then your amp goes belly up. That ain't a problem, it's a sign...

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Whatever it is, it sure looks like the neck's coming off.

4. .

5. .

6. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    It won't be, eventually.

7. .

8. Yeah, I mean like I said...it's just something to learn on...so I am not too worried...but I will probably just sell it to get my amp fixed....or trade it off

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ah yes, I'm familiar with them.... "Unethical Luthiery Of Birmingham" :eek:

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Take it back to said luthier (small l or L or ell) and get money, amp or draft pick to be named later. When the neck flies off and hurts you it won't be worth squat.
    Sorry

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If they said that then do not go back there. This is a serious problem. Find a real Double Bass Luthier. Get opinions here from Bass-only Luthiers.

12. I see it's on sale already?

Can't you borrow a buddy's amp for some time until you get the cash to fix it?

It's a shame to see a guy step into the dark side and step out merely for financial reasons.

13. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    The outside linings make it look German, but I've seen some basses from a Korean company based in Shri Lanka, I believe, that have outside linings.

Sometime necs start to come out and then there's a change in temperature and humidity and they kind of reglue themselves. But it isn't right and probably is going to come out at some point.

How much did you pay for it?

14. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Oh, so a ghost comes out and clamps it in place as well?

15. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Ha ha ha!

No, probably more like elves or fairies, that only do their work when nobody is watching.

16. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Looks like a garden variety Chinese laminate....with issues.

I'd take it back.

17. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    That's no indicator. Most basses are finished this way, applying no varnish to the active part of the back of the neck, or at least no color. Overall, it doesn't look like it's worth fussing over. Take it back. If you can't get your money back, see about an amp!
    Robobass

18. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    wouldnt it be cheaper to see whats wrong with the amp before selling your bass? it could be a relatively cheap fix. the neck however needs to be fixed to be reliable and safe, unless of course the elves and faires team up with the ghosts and decide to fix your bass right up

19. JazzCat_88

JazzCat_88

Jun 13, 2006
    Singapore
    you have a metal tailpiece!!!

i had one too, till i changed it to a wittner composite

20. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Looks to me like a Chinese Palatino. And they are known to have neck issues.