Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well...here it is: The obligatory Cabo post!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gard, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    First, thanks again y'all - without the support everyone gave, it wouldn't have happened!

:D

WARNING: Long post ahead!

What a trip!

Where to start????

I won't bore anyone with every detail - especially the flights there and back. Suffice it to say they were completed safely, although with some aggrivation when dealing with the transportation of instruments.

Baja California Sur is a beautiful place where mountains and desert meet a beautiful blue sea with incredible white sand beaches. It's a very laid back place, to say the least.

Cabo Wabo is a pretty big place right in the center of Cabo San Lucas. Very nice, not fancy at all, just nice and laid back. Decent sized stage (well, with 7 guys, a bit cozy...), good backline and house PA, and a WONDERFUL crew of guys taking care of the whole thing (and of us as well).

Thursday of last week, we played by ourselves, did two longer sets, about an hour and a half each. The room was almost full, and the crowd was very enthuastic - always a good thing.

Friday, we went in for a soundcheck in the afternoon, walked into the VIP/dressing room, and walked smack into Sammy Hagar. He was exceptionally gracious and friendly, and has a great sense of humor. (First thing he said: "Man, there's a bunch of you muther*******!!!!) The rest of the Waboritas (his band) were just as cool, particularly Mona, the bassist (she's a kick-@$$ player too, great tone as well - nice Esh bass).

We ran down for a sound check after spending a while just soaking in the whole "gee, that's really Sammy" vibe. We'd learned a couple tunes on the off chance that he may want to sit in with us, and had only had one chance to run through them before leaving on the trip, so we decided to run through them again for soundcheck.

So, there I am, making sure everything is working right, checking out my gear on stage, looking at my hands and my "cheat sheet", running through Van Halen's "Black & Blue". The stage is crawling with the crew, getting things set for that nights festivities. I noticed something streak by in my peripherial vision, but pay it no mind, thinking "it's one of the crew, doing something"....it's not. The vocal part come up, and I hear Sammy's voice! (Coolest moment of the whole trip!) He got through the first verse, sounding just like the recording, and then started forgetting the words, so he just sorta scatted/improvised the rest of the tune. He apologized after the tune for having forgetten the words, as he hadn't sung it since 1988! (Uh...you're sorry Sammy??? Puhleeeze!!! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!). He asks if anyone has a recording, I just happened to have my trusty copy of OU812 handy, and it was handed over. He promises to learn the tune for that night - he's gonna sing it with us!

That night, we get to the club, we're opening for Smashmouth. The guys in Smashmouth are great, very friendly and genuine people. We go down and kick out an hour, the highlight of which is Sammy dropping in and belting out "Black & Blue" in front of a packed house.

Smashmouth put on a great show, Sammy sat in on a couple with them as well.

Saturday was the big night: us, followed by Smashmouth, then Sammy & the Waboritas. The place was PACKED, if you'd passed out, you probably wouldn't hit the floor for at least an hour ;). We went out and did our best, and were very well recieved, considering the partisan crowd (they're there for Sammy, not us!). Smashmouth kicked arse as well, very good show. The Waboritas are smokin', see 'em if you ever get the chance! About two hours of killer stuff, Sammy works the crowd better than anyone I've ever seen, and the band is tight and relaxed at the same time. Great show.

The only downers were the minor accident I had (nice big scrape on the side of the rental van :( ) and the fact that we had to be up and out of the rental house at 8:30 am the next day.

Rico is still down there! As a matter of fact, as I type this, he's probably onstage with Sammy & Michael Anthony crankin' out a couple tunes. They've asked him to hang with them until Monday! Lucky bastid! The rest of us have "real" jobs to deal with...sigh...

Anyhow...here are a few of the promised pics...

Sammy says hi!:

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Celebrating a good set!:

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    The band arriving at Cabo Wabo the first day, Sammy's good friend Jorge dead center:

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Our good friend Al muggin' for the camera while we soundcheck in the background:

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow..... what a trip! sounds amazing my friend, I would expect more cool pics to show up?!

P@

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...as I get more pics, I'll post a few. I'm fighting with my personal camera (these are from Mike, the drummer's personal cache), so hopefully I'll figure out how to get 'em out. Got a good pic of me with Mona somewhere...also there will probably be some good shots of the band eventually.

Did this really happen to me???

:confused:

:D

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Mexico says hi! :)

i envy you and your vacations!

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Dang. That is just about the coolest thing. More please. Did you meet Sammy's wife?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Screw the music Gardo!!! WE WANT A THONG REPORT WITH PICS!!!!........(and I don't mean thongs on feet).

Man - That is so cool. Definitely a highlight for your scrapbook. Hard work and study pays off. CONGRATS, BIG TIME!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Max - More coming as it becomes available. Yes I did briefly meed Mrs. Hagar. She was a nice lady, and quite beautiful - as one would expect.

Dude...seriously - I spent maybe two hours at the beach on Friday afternoon. No major "thongage" to report. :(

Thanks, it only took about 22 years of constant hard work, but it appears to have been worth the effort. See what you can do if you stick with it for 20+ years kids???? :eek:

;)

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did you take your amp rig to Mexico or did you just take your bass and plug into a house rig?

brad cook

12. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    wow that is really cool man, i want to see more pics. I will be gettin ahold of you for a cd soon.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Brad -

Uh...if you knew what an absolute nightmare traveling with just my flight-cased basses was, you wouldn't even ask about an amp! :eek:

I made do with the house backline, an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and two Ampeg SVT 410E Classic cabs. Not my first choice, but it did the job.

fadlan -

As I said, more will be posted as they become available. I need to pry open my camera and get the film in for development ASAP, but it's not working right and I'm afraid to just open the thing and expose any film.

Here's a couple more -

Mikey mugs on the beach, Land's End in the background:

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    TalkBass on the beach!:

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That is SOOOOOO COOOOOOLLLLL!!!!! Congrats.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ah, you didn't forget "the little people!"

:)

brad cook

18. I was O.K. until the beach pictures, now, Mr. Jealousy is sitting next to me. ;) :D

Way to go, Gard.

Mike J.

19. So Gard - you had a great time, and we're all thrilled and proud of one of "our own", but I have to ask -

one name besides Sammy appears several times in the posts above - Mona. Now we realize she's the bassist, and that's a good reason to mention her, but is there more to this story.....? ;) :D

20. That is just way cool! Glad you had a great time. Did you ask Sammy about attending our next Atlanta get together?