Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well holiday shopping has started and i don't know what i want...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apoodangle, Nov 23, 2003.

1. i'm looking to get a real bass amp (instead of using my lousy crate guitar amp)

i need something 200 or more watts, i'll be playing small gigs on this thing. 400 watts would be very nice as well :D as for tone, something pretty uncolored, i hate hearing honking mids or piercing highs or too much bass.

a head/cab setup is probably best. i should mention i'm using a jazz bass. the problem is i play everything from metal to hardcore to jazz/funk. so i might just have to shell out the cash for 2 separate cabs as the need arises, but we shall see

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Since you didn't list any price constraints I would recommend a few different things to consider.

Seperate preamp/poweramp (allows versatility and upgrading seperates in future)

or

Walter Woods head

or

EA iAmp-800 head

or

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II head

and

go listen to Bergantino & EA & Accugroove & Bag End & Epifany cabs.

That's what I would do anyway.

3. thanks a ton man, i'm lusting after that Euphonic Audio iAmp 350 right about now. i'm gna see if i can find that used and a cheap cab, i think the expensive speaker cabinets are going to have to wait unfortunately. i saw the reviews for the iAmp and they said it was totally uncolored, so it seems like my kinda thing. know where i can find some sound clips though? that would make things much easier...

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you're talking about EA iAmp's, there's some clips HERE.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Check out the Amps buyers guide thats in the thread stuck at the top of the amps forum. theres alot of stuff in there that may help you.

If you want something uncolored, have a look at GK stuff ;)

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might be able to pickup a couple of second-hand Bag End S15-D's for a decent price. They are pretty efficient and have a lot of punch for 15"ers. Personally, I would probably try to get a second-hand D10B-D or D10BX-D cause I prefer the sound of 10"ers (very good low end).