1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well, i changed strings . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 24, 2005.

1. And the action was way too low, so much so that strings couldnt be tuned because they were just rattling on the frets

So, this means i need to turn the truss rod a little (or alot, probably alot) counter clockwise right . . . well, i slackened the strings, i took the truss rod cover off, pulled out an allen key, and it wont turn :crying:

Any advice ??? :bawl:

2. well, i tuned it up (well, tightened the strings), and left it in its case for 10 minutes, and its a bit better, i was able to tune it up

now i just get the lower frets rattling when i play the higher notes ( i think about the 4th or 5th fret was rattling when i played the 12th ), and the action seems hell of a high, im not gonna mess about with it right now, gonna give it a while to settle <panic over>

3. I have 2 other basses to play about with so its fine for a few days, ill keep checking its in tune every couple hours (bar from when im at work)

Cheers, ill need help then too!

I had it setup by a pro about a year ago, and he sorted the action out, so yeah i think its turned before, but this is the fist time ive changed strings on her (the shame of removing 3 year old strings)
    [I put on some standard elites, i think they are a bit beefier than the stock strings that were on it]

Ive sorted the action on my old 4 string, but after i did that the nut for the truss rod went loose, and i dont really want to fanny about with this without knowing exactly what to do, because its a fair bit more expensive than the 4 string, and the EDA's are no longer made, and they havent been made in that colour for about 4 years, so not something i want to **** the neck on :)

MOD EDIT: PLEASE REREAD THE USAGE AGREEMENT.

4. yeah true, ive never personally seen it move (but must assume, you have no idea how badly setup these things are from the factory :p )

cool, ill need to tune it before work then straight after, its only a 7 hour shift :s