Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, I did it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I defretted my Squier P-Bass.

It sounds super sexy.

Now, I need to stop playing it. I have only had it like this for about an hour, and the neck is already getting thumped up. I need to epoxy it ASAP.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    how'd you fill up the fret holes?

3. Take it from a martial artist "Any thing that needs to be put out of use until it is in proper working order should be put out of use." I recently hurt my wrist and so instead of pushups the normal way I had to do them on my knuckles, and about two years ago I hurt my heel (jumped off of stairs and landed badly on concrete, from about 15 feet up) and had to stop going to kung fu all together.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I haven't yet. I am probably just going to let the epoxy seap down into the slots when I do eet.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    gah! STOP PLAYING ON IT! you're gonna warp your neck... unstring it

6. What the hell are you talking about?

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes, please explain...

8. I think he thinks with the new slots in the finger board that the neck and finger board will be more plyable (i think thats right:confused: ) and under string tension it can bow. if not then I have no clue what he's saying.:confused:

9. I vote to play the bass.

Haha on the fretless players, for having a bass that will warp the neck IF they install strings. Warmoth/Fender/Allparts must be making a killing (selling new fretless necks) off of this completely agreed upon fact.

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I would use wood-filler for the fret-holes instead of epoxy because its a lot cleana dn looks nicer IMO. Its also much easier to get the wood putty level with a fine sanding job.

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    he said he didn't fill it yet.. and with the string tension... yea... it'll bow

12. that's what i did with both of my defretting projects. i'm told i shouldn't have though; i guess you're supposed to put in wood strips. pshhh..whatever.:D

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, but mostly no.

With the frets removed, the neck is more flexible in the direction that the strings want to bend it. And, if the fret kerfs are filled in, that flexibility will be reduced back to close to the value it was when fretted.

However, this bending is the normal bending due to string tension that the truss rod is designed to counteract. So, if the neck is slightly too bowed, the truss rod can just be tightened a little.

There should be no permanent bow induced in the neck by playing before the fret kerfs are filled.