Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well...I do not know about this one...DP that is...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, May 27, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    from the DP site...

when customer design fails miserably...

2. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    If ugly was a crime, the person that designed that thing should get life without parole!!!

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...yes. But this is the worst customer failure.

Click here. It's a big picture.

For those of you too lazy to look, it's a SG styled 6 string. Let me repeat that, because it bears repeating: an SG Style 6 string.

Now let that sink in.

Did the guy even know what the word "balance" meant? What about "Neck dive?"

What was he thinkin?

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hmmm..no comment.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    upon second look i've decided that it looks handicapped; like one of its arms is missing !

get that bass a parking permit !

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Man I hate to be mean but when I clicked on that first pic I literally busted out laughing.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The thing is though, Basslabs can at least do it with style. (Referring to the bass DonZ posted)

I love Basslab stuff. Different as hell. The C-Bow and L-Bow in particular.

Basslab. Rock!

8. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Bass labs must get all the unique customers. Those are the ugliest basses I have ever seen, and that six string pictured..... woah nelly! I'm no longer young and handsome and I still would not be seen with that thing around my neck!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I was a young boy, I told the barber I wanted a Mohawk haircut (I'm part Mohawk). He said, "I won't give you a Mohawk." When I asked why not, he replied, "If someone asks you who did it, you're going to tell them it was me."

Why on god's green earth would Dave make these crimes against nature? He should've been an attorney.

p.s. Those BassLabs ones evoke images of earwigs.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That God there are still builders like Wish who have standards!

J/k;)

Peace
    Thor

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Who was the TB'r who had that made?? I remember seeing that around here before.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    That thing looks like it's shaking it's fists in the air, as if to say, "Why would ye turn me into a shampooin' turkey?!?"

Here's something in a similar vein as the one posted by Don:

http://www.gui****octor.com/jimbass1.jpg http://www.gui****octor.com/jimbassback1.JPG

Not pretty. It's supposed to be "ergonomic" (Alien-speak for "excuse to make ugly blobs"). It was made for some guy named Jim by "The Guitar Doctor" (!).

13. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    mmmmmmm..... ugly

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You know, if no one knew anything about DP basses, and just saw these two wonderful works of art(just kidding), they'd say this guys a moron! I've seen quite a few of nice DP's turn out. I'm becoming more a believer that a builder can't build a bass to the design of a buyer. The builder must have a design philosophy that will allow for some customer input on the result. I've heard mention that if you went to Mike Tobias about building a bass with poor wood combo's, he simply won't build it because he knows the outcome will be bad. He doesn't want to be known for building bad basses, and who could fault him for that.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This one..

[​IMG]

Reminds me of Manring's custom Zon "Vinny" bass...

16. you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. this goes in my sig.

17. Ugly maybe, but not original. Wittman (http://www.wittman-spins.com/basses.html, maker of a cool onboard tuner and a rather odd spinning strap system) has been building basses like that for years:

[​IMG]

Mike

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yes, but are those basses <i>selling</i>?

19. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    :D

That'll go in my up-coming book, "Bon Mots of Cone-Shaped Reproductive Organs".

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Concerning the bass in the first post, I don';t know what is uglier - the amputated wing or the varicose veins riddling the bass's body.