Well, i finally broke away from microsoft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 12, 2005.

1. yep, i did it...i switched to linux!

so i have ubuntu linux, and it is pretty cool, it is a lot easier to use than i had thought it would be!

does anybody use linux here?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Microsoft isn't going to die any time soon. But they are definitely in a massive slump. More so than ever people are getting fed up with IE, office, windows...etc. and jumping ship to the blossoming market for alternatives. Linux and Mac OS are gaining popularity at an astounding rate. The windows dominance isn't likely to change anytime soon, but the percentages are definitely shifting about.
  3. And the interesting appeal about the alternatives is that they're mostly free and open source.
  4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

My friend just gave me a copy of Knoppix so I could try out Linux without making a commitment. I love it!
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Debian, Mandrake, Archlinux, and LinuxFromScratch over here that's linux. Then I have Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD on the other machines for more Unix flavors. You'll really enjoy it, have fun :).
  6. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    Currently using Debian. In the past I've used Mandrake and Fedora. Setting up linux on a laptop is extremely difficult, as I am now discovering. If anyone has any good resources for setting up /etc/modprobe.d in 2.6.8 or later I'd be very grateful. Specifically on loading the cpufreq modules (powernow-k7 and cpufreq-userspace). The module HOWTO is more 2.4 specific, and all the info I can find on the net is about modprobe.conf, which was removed sometime before 2.8 came out.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have had a dual boot machine and a linux server for a good number of years now. I like it a lot. It's not the 100% perfect pie in the sky people like to brag about, but it's very functional and fairly solid.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When my employer decides to move away from MS, so will I. For now, I make a good living taking care of Bill's operating systems.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Linux is pretty cool. Lately I've mostly used RedHat. It's not bad, and there's a lot of free software. But, Linux still has some technical hurdlles to overcome. If you're using it to record music, for instance, you'll probably have noticed some of the problems with loading and unloading drivers. If you're into that kind of thing, you'll probably end up communicating with Linus at some point. :)
  10. true enough, MS won't be going anywhere yet, but i do think their days are possibly numbered. My CSCI prof was talking to me, saying that eventually MS won't be able to compete with open source, because there is only so many extra things you can pack into your programs, take IE for example. Firefox can do many of the same things, and its free (well, so is IE, but i think the same will be the case for everything MS does, including OS's) after a while, MS will have put everything possible into an OS, and so will linux (or any other open source OS) and MS windows costs a load of money, while linux is free. if you can get the same (or very similar) program for free, i think a lot of people move to linux. I think my prof is right. if you can get the same things for free, why not?
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dream on dude....With the many directions MS is going, they don't need to sell copies of their OS for $100 to make money anymore.

Bill Gates is way ahead of the curve on this one. He recognized this free open source concept long ago, and has already started moving into other ways to make money with technology. Just the other day, I saw a MS operating system incorporated into an HD TV. Bill Gates must be a Marine...adapt and overcome.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

CS profs have been saying that since Win95. It's funny to see how many supposed "professionals" jump on the 'MS is evil' bandwagon. :rolleyes:
  13. well, i see what you are saying, Gates will move into other computer-related fields, such as HDTV and video games (xbox) but do you see microsoft still making an "office" type product in 30-40 years? personally, i don't. i have had experience in both MS office and open office, and it appears that they are already extremely similar, and i am saying that in 20 years, i don't see MS being able to sell a product that will be perfectly identical to whatever open source will have to offer...right now it looks like openoffice. i mean, think logically...you can only give an "office" type product so many features. i am not going to pay for MS office '25 because they built-in tetris for when you take a break with your presentation. I think its the same with most of their programs (not games or other non-pc dealings) i think there are only so many things you can put into an OS, unless MS figures out how to include mind control into their windows '25, but then i suppose that open source will soon be right behind them on the mind control.
    maybe i worded my statement incorrectly...i didn't mean to say that MS will be gone forever, but i do think that their software (not games) will lose out to open source at some point in the future. Its silly to pay for what you can get for free. you know what i mean?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I can see where you are going with your thoughts. MS isn't going to sit back and continue to charge $100 for Windows or $400 for Office forever. They will adapt and overcome. I can see the days of expensive software coming to an end, but no more than that.

The other thing you need to remember is that most people that use computers do not have enough knowledge to install, let alone operate a free OS like Linux. They rely on Windows and Mac OS's, and they always will. The guys giving away their OS's do not have the resources to provide customer support like MS does.

I agree that you will see more free open source software in the future, but MS will maintain their market share.

15. Charlie, as far as MS being into other things - long ago Gates went on an acquisition spree and assembled the largest collection of artworks copyright licenses ever. We're talking the entire Louve - stuff on that scale. Now, should any of these pieces be used on the web or in printed works, Gates has at least a partial claim to proceeds from the images. At the time, it was a big deal in art circles. Most people didn't quite know what to think of it and whether it was a sinister move as I think it was. But now that the web has gone practically interstellar, it's easy to see how Gates was once again well ahead of everyone in this area.
  16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Also, companies like Red Hat and Mandrake, two of the most popular linux distro's, are packaging and profiting from the OS anyway in terms of support.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks for that Josh. I know very little about anything Linux.

18. horus

Feb 7, 2005
    Slidell, LA
    Hi, Gang,

I've been using Linux since 1996 - started out with an InfoMagic Linux Developer's Toolkit (it included Red Hat 3.03 and some ancient versions of Slack and Debian).

Lately, three of the four computers on my little home network run Fedora (either Core 1 or Core 3), and all of them dual boot to Win98SE.

Let me suggest a link for those of you who might be wanting to use Linux for audio:

Planet CCRMA At Home: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
    (all sorts of goodies for Red Hat/Fedora, and easy to use, too...)

I use a Planet CCRMA kernel on my Dell Precision 220 Workstation and run JACK, Ardour, and Audacity, just to mention a few - the whole process is documented on the website, the instructions are easy to follow, and there are tons of apps for audio there.

Anyone know of similar sites for other distributions?

Later On,
  19. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    been using linux since 1996. Lately I just use it as my web development station. I use windows for the games. I want to get a mac because I love os x. Very good unix OS.

My web machine is fedora. Though I change alot when I redo a system to try something different. I;ve tried almost everything. Especially when I worked at IBM as they support several different distros.