Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well, I finally did it...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Eric Rene Roy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I hate bows. No, I hate cheap bows.

I was cutting a new tip block today and the block rolled...and my chissel decided to take off my fingertip. Not straight down...just a nice slice through 1/2 of my fingernail and out the tip. Not fleshy enough to have anything sewn back on. Damn near the most painful thing I have ever done though. Passed right out (I have a weak disposition to pain ;) ) Jack and Gary were my hero's today, they really acted fast and did all the right things. Thanks guys.

So, to all my luthier friends and bow rehairers...be careful with those plugs!!!

[​IMG]

2. Yowch.

Was it reattached without any problems?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Is that an ATM in a hospital?

4. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Man, I am really sorry for your pain and suffering, but thank you for that awesome photo!

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Ouch! Nice bandage...Hey, that's a pic of ER in the ER! ;) I feel your pain.
    Here's my favorite shop injury story: I had a bass' top off, and I was chiseling out some old glue-y mess in a corner of the back. My left hand was under the back holding things steady, when the chisel plunged right through the back and into my hand. I was alone in the shop, and I was stuck there attached to the instrument. I had to 1) keep from passing out, 2) yank the chisel out of my hand and out of the bass, and 3) clean up lots of blood and treat my hand. Fortunately, no permanent damage was done, except to my psyche...
    You should hear what Zac Martin did to himself in my shop...

6. Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    OK...I'll bite. Let's hear it!

Helps me to not feel so dumb swapping war wound stories.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    First a little background: Zac is fastidious about sharpening. You can cut yourself just looking at one of his knives.
    So, he built a new top for a bass and was trimming the c-bout with a knife, while seated. He slipped and thrust the knife into and out of his thigh. He called me in and I had him lower his head to keep from feeling faint. Then he dropped his pants. (Don't get excited, you guys!) There on his leg was about a two-inch surgical slice, very deep. Only a single drop of blood. It was gaping open, and looked like chicken breast meat. He didn't want to go to a hospital, so I went to the pharmacy, got some butterfly tapes and we bandaged it up. I guess because it was cut so cleanly, the wound healed up perfectly.

8. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Eric, whoa, sorry about that. David Gage and I both have fingertip losses to the almighty jointer. Take care (and Vicodan)....

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh, s**t! Sorry Eric...and Arnold, and all you guys who lay your tender flesh on the line so all of us mere mortals can make a nice sound. Seems like each and every one of you has "the story".

10. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    And this, ladies and gentleman, is why you always use sharp knives. I'd say looking like chicken breast and only 1 drop of blood is better than a mess of raw hamburger :eek: .

12. Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Yeah, the DR. said something like, "a chissel did this?". I then told him I was a violinmaker and that my tools were as sharp as his. If the hair doesn't jump off my arm then I keep sharpening. :)

Well, I just changed the dressing...and it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did when I first did it. Man it throbs though!

Hey, keep the luthier war wound stories going...makes me feel better in a sadistic kinda way.

13. Well, I´m not a luthier, but this happened to me back in 1994:

I was coming home from rehearsal, and my girlfriend was waiting for me at home. She had been making supper, candles and everything on the table. I lifted my bass in through the door and reached my left hand behind my back to grab the door handle...and BANG! The wind slammed the door on my left index finger. The tongue of the lock sliced 1/3 of the fingertip nearly off.
    I was just standing there, screaming ( and still holding the bass with my right hand ), while blood was dripping all over the carpet. My girlfriend came to see what happened and when she saw me, she nearly passed out. Finally she took the bass and laid it on the floor, while I hurried in the bathroom to get something to wrap around my finger. Simultaneously I yelled to her to get dressed and drive me to doctor...she was not wearing much more than underwear and a nightgown, but she performed a Very Fast Take Off.

So we got to emergency pretty quickly, but while I was showing my wrapped finger to receptionist, there were several drunks coming in with their heads wrapped, legs broken and the usual stuff. So, I was just told to sit down and wait for my turn. Finally, after waiting for half an hour I got to see the doctor, who was an expatriate from Hungary, and obviously did not speak fluent Finnish. While he was examining what was revealed under the wrappings, I changed to English to tell him that I´m a bass player and would seriously appreciate him not to rip off what was remaining of my fingertip, which he obviously was intending to do...fortunately he finally believed that it was a good idea to try to save the tip, and attached it back with several stitches. He dressed the finger, but left the tip visible, gave me a recipe for pain killers and while I was leaving he told me with his funny accent to come back if the tip turns black!

Getting back home we saw that the candles were still burning on the dinner table.

Well, the tip did not turn black, and it stayed there. I was not able to play for 7-8 months though, and years after it was healed there was sometimes a sudden sting of pain, when I pressed the string. These days the scar is barely visible.

R2

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This is the most tragic part, right here. I mean, the night was certainly memorable, but it could've been just as such and for much nicer reasons had the door not caught your finger.

15. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that Eric. Surgery on extremities gives me the willies just thinking about it.
    Note to self: order upgraded first aid kit for the shop.

16. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I had the same thought after I sliced up my left index finger in a stupid moment with a drill press and a razor blade. I can't even remember why I had a razor blade near a spinning drill bit anymore but they bonded nicely creating a rapidly spinning slicing thing that made my finger a mess. It was one of "I'm those to stupid to live" moments. Thankfully it healed and I can still play but the panic of those moments really makes a person respect the tools and safety precautions. I hate learning lessons the hard way.

17. I used to keep screws and nails in glass jars. I don't any more.

Lots of workshop books used to recommend fixing the lid of a screw top glass jar to the underside of a shelf, filling the jar with screws then screwing the jar onto the lid. Quick to open and you can see what size screws you have and so on. The trouble is you don't realise how much pressure you're putting on to the jar when you don't hold the lid in the other hand.

I went to get some screws one day without noticing that the jar had been overtightened and had cracked. When it came loose from the lid the two halves fell apart and as I tried to catch everything the moulded glass thread for the lid which was sticking out like a little dagger went straight into the tip of my right hand first finger - my major plucker, guys :eek: !

I still have a little J-shaped scar. Luckily it healed and it hasn't bothered me for years, but all my screws are now in drawers.

18. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I hate finger injuries, especially fingernail injuries. A few months ago I dropped a 300-lb television on my right index finger. The nail broke in half but did not fully come off, so I had to go to the doctor and have him rip half of it off with a tool he called a "splincer" or something. He injected some kind of local anesthetic right by the big knuckle, but it never reached the tip. It hurt. The worst part is that I am beginning to suspect my nail will never be the same again. The nailbed was all mutilated by the force of the TV, so when the nail grew back it looks sort of funny.

My injury story is nothing compared to some of the others I just read here, but come on... I'm only 18. I need to make sure I keep all my fingers attached if I want to keep playing....

19. This is downright puny compared to the tales of adversity and strife we got here, but the week before I went on my first regional orchestra course (when I was 14) I managed to slice the 2nd finger on my left hand open with a potato peeler. Spent the whole 10 day course trying to play everything on a 1 or a 4:D and to date, my only scar from anything... *touch wood*

20. I once sprayed mosquito repellant into my eyes. That has nothing to do with bass playing, but it nearly blinded me. Strung pretty good, too.