Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well i finally got a 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Jun 15, 2002.

1. i just got my first 6 string it's an ibanez sr406...a good little starter 6 i think...but here's my question how do you people play 7's and 8's it's all i can do to get my hand around the 6

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    practice!

:D

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They aren't bad begginner 6s (not that there a lot of em floating around), and they are pretty feasible if you upgrade the electronics. The spacing is a bit tight, and the B isn't world class, but it's not a bad bass by any stretch of imagination.

4. way to be. i got an ibanez for me 6er too, cept its BTB406, not sr... but whatever.

5. I'm gonna assume this is not a rhetorical question. :)

First, I haven't seen you play, but there are two things that make a big difference in getting around on a wider neck. First, don't wear the bass too low--it's gotta be high enough so that you can keep your left wrist fairly straight, with the thumb pretty much in the middle of the neck, not wrapped around.
    Second, if you play with fingers rather than a pick, get used to "floating" your right hand, so the thumb anchors on the string next to the one you're playing, not on the edge of the pickup.

I picked up on these two things of necessity when I moved from 4 to 5, and they were even more help when I started playing 6.

Mike