well I may be getting an under study with a luthier!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by learning_towalk, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I found out that Eddie Vila lives just a few miles from my house...So I emailed him and asked him if he'd be willing to take on an understudy (apprentice) ...He's more or less told me yes, but said that he wants to talk more about it with me when he gets back in town from a business trip...

He mostly deals in classical,Harpstyle, and acoustic guitars....which will be great because on top of basses I want to make acoustic guitars as well...

I'm excited! Guys such as Chet Atkins used his classical guitars and they are considered to be among the finest of the american made classicals, and his harp guitars are out of this world (selling at a starting price of $8,000)

I just wanted to share with you guys! I'm excited at the thought of actually getting to learn hands on with an expert to learn the ins and outs (as well as learn from his mistakes- so I can make my own...lol)

I'm hoping to build my first acoustic with Eddie's help with the following specs

OM body style (14th fret)

Bear Claw Sitka top
    Oregon Myrtle B/S
    Maple/Purple Heart/Maple neck
    Ebony fretboard/bridge/headstock veneer/bridge pins
    Purple heart binding
    Waverly chrome/Ebony Tuners
    Bone nut/saddle
    satin finish on neck/thin gloss on body

what do you think? I mostly finger pick and light strum so I thought that it'd be a good wood choice, also Myrtle is supposed to be extremely easy to bend and work with
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't know nuthin' 'bout acoustic guitars, but it sounds like an awesome opportunity to me. Hey, I tells ya what. Why don't you go ahead and build your guitar, then build me one too! I've always wanted an acoustic and I'd be more than willing to pay what an apprentice might charge for a practice piece (i.e. not all that much since I don't exactly play guitar).

Oh, and if you're working in a pro shop we're gonna have to see all kinds of pictures. Sorry, them's the rules.

3. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, Congrats! You're a lucky man....
  4. thanks for the kudos...Don't know when I'll get to work on my project because as Hambone reminded me of very kindly in a PM, I'm there to help him and learn from him...so as I learn I will work on my project on the side

he doesn't have that huge of a shop with tons o' grizzly tools...but it's nice and well laid out...here are a few pictures

some shop pics, he also has two humidity controlled closets for wood storage

Eddie's Harp Guitar (starting price $8000!!! whoa!)

eddie with Chet Atkins

once (if) I get in with him I'll take more pics
  5. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL

Any reason for the body extension?
  6. the extension is a harp (it's not strung up in the photo)
  7. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Consider yourself lucky. I have been looking for people around chicago to help me out like this with no avail. Good luck.