Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, I need my tranny rebuilt...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 29, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, some of you know I live in NJ and attend Moravian College in PA, 75 minutes away from each other and often come home on the weekend to work my summer job, lend a hand at the lumberyard for a fairly decent paycheck.

My El Camino has 159,500 miles on it and frankly, it's done me well. Just my luck though, three days after I sell that Spector to pay off my credit card debt, my tranny starts acting up, starts whining in 1st gear, clunks into 2nd and then doesn't want to go into 3rd without really coaxing it. Took it to the shop today for a quick gander and they're talking rebuild. About $1400-1600.

Kinda sucks. Looks like I'll be commuting home even more to pay for the rebuild.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    but look at the bright side...

new transmission.

:p

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Dammit I thought this was about bionic transgenders...now that wouldve been interesting..

:D

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Three or four speed auto, Tim?

$1400 - $1600 seems kinda high for either, especially since they'll likely swap it out for a rebuilt unit, rather than rebuild yours.

Call around to some tranny shops for estimates, imo.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it Tim :)

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Good advice Mike, that does seem to be about right though. Us dodge guys are seeing typical prices of 1800+ for our tranny rebuilds. Granted these are computer controlled, and I'm not sure how much bearing that has on price.

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    my van needs a new transmission as well. but poor me has no money. man i wish a relative would die soon...

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was waiting for you to chime in. 3 Speed Auto she is, w/ OD.

I want to make a few calls but this guy comes highly recommended by my family trusted mechanic who goes out of his way to save his customers money. I'll call a few local places about this too.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ever thought about getting a good one from a wreckers and getting your mechanic to put it in?

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was thinking " El Camino? It'll probably have one of those old Turbo 350's."

A good rebuilt one shouldn't be hard to come up with. Down here that would be about $1100. Maybe the price difference is geographical somehow?

11. The El Camino probably has a 350 - 400 turbo. There are tons of them out there. Shouldnt be that expensive. since its rear wheel driven, its easy to replace. the price they quoted should include a new torque converter (around $300.00). When I was in the business, a rebuilt 350 turbo, a rebuilt torque converter with labor was around $1200.00. Our transmissions also came with a 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty.

12. That's what I thought.

'Cos, you know, I'm a girl, and therefore know nothing about cars.

13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I would advise against this. If the junkyard tranny craps out a week down the road, you're responsible to pay the labor to have the tranny replaced again. Imo and ime spend the extra $ to get a rebuilt unit (that should last, and comes with a warranty) rather than a used one (that's a crapshoot as to whether it's good or not).

14. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Do you know which OD you have? There's two, the 200R4 and the 700R4. To tell which you have, look at the tranny pan. A rectangular pan is the 700R4, and the non-rectangular pan (that narrows near the crossmember) is the 200R4.

The 700 is more expensive than the 200.

If you can let me know which you have (and the year and engine size of your Elky), I'll call my tranny man for a ballpark estimate, to see if your guy is close on price.

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Everybody should have a tranny guy. Get a Doug Nash, damn near bullet proof.

Mike

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    99% sure it's the 200R4, but I can't get a look now, I'm back in PA. My parents are taking care of this while I'm at school.

It's an 87 GMC Caballero with the stock 305.

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    probably a 700r4, fairly common. Nice ride, that would make a cool project vehicle some day. Stick with a national chain too, that way you can get it serviced anywhere if there's a problem.

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    We use this guy. He can make a Powerglide live in a 1500+ horsepower car running 6.80's @ 200+ mph.

www.competitiontransmission.com

19. [​IMG]

... I'm sorry.

Tranny guy... ::snort::

20. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I may look this one up. I swapped a C-6 for A Doug Nash 4sp auto. Jumped my pony up quite a bit.

Mike