Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well I Switched From Ampeg SVT-3 Pro to Gk 1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Just got back from GC and got the 1001rb-II out the door for $600 :D So far i am extremly impressed. The clarity just blows the ampeg svt3-pro out of the water. Not to say i cant get crunchier sounds out of the amp with the right settings aswell.

First thing i noticed was the volume on this thing. It is incredibly loud at 10 o'clock. Waaaay louder than the svt.

The GK is 18lbs, compared to the ampegs 26lbs, but coupled with the grundorf box, tuner, and power conditioner i couldnt really tell a huge difference.

I am thrilled with my purchase and am very pleased with the GK. :hyper:

2. The SVT takes somework with the eq to get a big bang out of it. But thats awesome man if I were to have a back up or a lighter amp I would go for the GK.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I dig the GK's, but IMO, everone needs an Ampeg at one time or another. When I'm rich and famous, I'll have three GK stacks and an SVT for the growl ;)

4. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Dont get me wrong i love the svt classics and a lot of the other ampeg heads...I just wouldnt recommend a svt-3 pro over a gk if someone were shopping for a new amp :)

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I bought a 400RB over a SVT Pro-3 (used) and never looked back.

6. and besides the fact that they are 2 diffrerent beasts in 2 diff price ranges I agree

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    How did you talk them down to $600?

~Patrick

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eek: :eek: What?!?! I've seen them for $799. That's a great deal. I'm eyeballing this amp along with a Hartke 5500(500w) and am leaning toward this one with 700w@4ohms. It's right up my alley!

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yaaah.... How'd ya do it? I'd go to the G Center right
    now and buy one at that price. How, how, how???

10. Almost every guitar center ive been to will let them out for 5 to 600 bucks if not a little lower. Its harder to haggle down any ampeg product unless it was a floor model.

11. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I fist picked a employee that looked kind of desperate, then i told him i could get the head on the internet (ricks music) for $650.00, but if he gave me the price right now i would take it.

He didnt hesitate for a second, he said you got it and walked back to get the amp. After 10 min he informed me they only had two floor models available. I told him ill take a floor model for $600.00, he agreed and i walked out with a flawless floor model for $600.00,

Try asking for $600 off the bat, and tell him youll take it right now. For a salesman thats very hard to resist. Especially when they work off of commision.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    "What kind of name is Lazlo?" - Guy from GTA: Vice City :p

It's a great way to do it, if you shop around, and make an offer that can't fail, you're sure to get a great price for anything. That's how I got a GK 400RB-III and two cabs for $1100... :)

13. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003

haha i remember that :)

Quick question for someone who knows more than me. On the back there are two regular speaker connections and two speakon connections.

Is it okay if i plug my eden 2X10 XLT in the regular connections and then my eden 1X15 XLT into the speakon connection? I understand i wont be able to get the tweeter control and such but i just dont want it to be bad for the amp.

Eden 2X10 banana plug ------------ banana connection

Eden 1X15 banana plug ------------- speakon connection

Thanks

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe the speakon section is for the bi-amp mode. You could connect your cabs to each one but one will be getting only 50 watts. Use the 1/4" connectors to connect both cabs (if each is 8ohms) to get the full rated power output. I don't think I would mix and match for fear of damaging the amp.

15. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Speakon will work fine, just as you described. Speakon's are made so that they can be used with all four poles active. That is how GK uses them for their cabinets. Only two poles will be used with the Eden box. The cord you have will be fine. Even if all poles were used in that cable, the Speakon jack will only connect to the two that would control the woofer in the GK box. hope this helps.

16. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    As long as you have a cord with Speakons that is 1+, 1-, you will run the entire power from the woofer amp to the crossover inside the cab, which will split the signal to the woofer and tweeter. The tweeter amp will not be used. (Kind of a shame, isn't it?) On GK cabs with the bi-amp option, you use a Speakon cord that is 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- and set the switch on the cab to bi-amp. This bypasses the passive crossover inside the cab and uses the electronic crossover in the amp. You can then control the tweeter level with it's own amp, and likewise the woofer. A very cool system. Too bad GK cabs are the only ones with the crossover bypass option as electronic crossovers are said to be much better than passive ones. Why, I don't know.

17. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    So if i use the banana to speakon on the 1X15 i will NOT be getting the full potential of watts out of it correct?

18. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You will be getting the full potential of the woofer amp, which is a considerable 700 watts at 4 ohms. The 50 watt tweeter amp will go unused. Lots of people use GK heads this way. (Myself included.) The 4 conductor cord that comes with the GK head can be used with a conventional cab with a speakon jack because these are wired 1+,1- also. The GK 4 conductor cord is like 2 cords in one: one for the woofer and one for the tweeter.

19. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Im actually am not using the GK cord because i never recieved it when i baught it. And im using two 8ohm cabs and the speakon is connected to the 1x15 and the 2x10 is using the normal banana plug.

You might have already answered my question im just very confused and a newb to this whole thing :) Im not worried about being able to use the tweeter control on the cab because i know i cant. I am concerened about supplying the 1x15 with full range of power and not only 50w.

20. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You should have gotten the 4-conductor cord with the amp when you bought it. The only way you can use the 50w amp is to have a Speakon cord that is wired 2+,2- and have a GK cab with the bi-amp switch on the back. Every other cab you hook up to this amp will automatically use the woofer amp full range.