1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well I thought I wanted a 62AVRI P-Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 10, 2012.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

...but it seems like the neck is basically the same dimensions as a '57 except with a RW board, from what I gather from the website specs. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the early-mid 60's P basses has much thinner (front to back) neck thickness than the late 50's ones. And I know that's the case when comparing my friends actual 64 Precision to a modern 57 AVRI. Is it true that they are essentially the same necks? Please say no because I really want a reason to get the 62 but I'm looking for something other than a bass with the 57 neck dimensions. Please tell me its not true :bawl:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all of the rosewood board RI necks that i've played are thinner front to back than the maple ones.

3. I owned a 62AVRI last year, the front to back thickness was pretty thin. Never played the real deal for reference though.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    "Early-mid 60's" rosewood fingerboard P-basses had mostly C necks, I think. In the later 60's, the B neck became standard. An old vintage C neck is not to be confused with the modern "C" that is bandied about now. It was a wide neck, 1.75" at the nut, and pretty thin front to back. Actually, a very comfortable neck, IMHO.

I realize I am not answering your question, but the 62 AVRI I played last year was similar to the old C neck, but not quite as thin front to back, IMHO. Also, I am not sure the FB radius is the same, but it might be.

5. petrus61

Both the 57 and 62 list a "C" neck on the website, both with 1.75 radi...wouldn't this indicate the same neck? I remember reading somewhere that the AVRI's used to be of the thinner persuasion, but eventually adopted a uniform thickness in line with the 57 AVRI. Is it possible for both to have a "C" neck, yet one be thicker front to back than the other? This will pretty much determine whether I opt for a US standard instead.

6. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    There is a 62 and an American standard in the music store right by me. I haven't played both basses in a few weeks but I think the front to back thinness of either bass was very similar if not the same. The difference being the 62 was wider, being 1.75 at the nut instead of 1.65 of the American standard. I haven't played a 57 in even longer than I have played the others buy the same shop has a 50's road worn that felt like the neck was a little thicker front to back than the 62.

Or I could somewhat be imagining these differences.

7. petrus61

It's one thing if both have the same nut width, but another if one has a 1.75 with a slimmer front to back..... and vice versa. To me anyway lol.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's been a long while since the local stores have had any 57AVRI's here near me. But in the past it used to be while they both had 1.75" nut width, the 62 had a flat-rounded back, while the 57 had more of a mild V shaped back. Not sure if Fender has kept up that tradition.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    BE AWARE, when looking at specs and descriptions online, there are two totally different legitimate meanings for the term "C neck". It may refer to the nut width (a C width is 1.75 inches) or to the profile/curve/shape of the back of the neck. A C-shaped neck has a smooth oval curvature, neither as boxy as a "U shape" nor as angled as a "V shape". However it may be any thickness! Neither one of the usages of the term "C neck" tells you anything about the thickness of the neck. A neck may have a C nut width and NOT a C profile shape, or vice versa--the two descriptions are not correlated.

moreblues likes this.
  10. The current 62's and 57's have the same exact neck profile. The main difference is the fingerboard material. I have played a ton of them and that has been my experience. The early reissues were different but now they are the same. But they are both fairly thin from front to back so the one with the incorrect profile is the 57. I think you will still like the 62.

11. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    My AVRI '62 P (about two years old) has the very thin "oval C" profile as does my CS NOS '60 P. I've never played an AVRI '57, but I can't see it being any thinner than my AVRI '62. Here's Fender's Custom Shop neck profile chart. Note that there is both an "Early '60's Oval 'C'" (which I assume is guitars) and a "'60 P Bass Oval 'C'." This sounds as though there was a change starting in 1960, but I'm just guessing. My thought is the "'57 Soft 'V'" is for guitars rather than basses. Please correct me on any of this if anyone knows differently. And, as others have said, "A", "B", and "C" necks had to do with width at the nut.

Sounds right to me.

12. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    How do you like the CS 60 P?
    My '60 P with the oval C is the most comfortable neck I've ever played.

13. The early Fullerton era reissues had different necks and the 57 had a V profile. Sometime starting with the Corona releases they started to make them the same and the 57 no longer has a V profile is the exact same neck as the 62 but with a maple board. They are both fairly thin from front to back.

14. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    The CS 60 P is even better than I hoped; it's an "off the rack" NOS not a custom build. I wanted a neck as thin as my AVRI, and some TBers said it would be and pointed me to the chart. I will probably sell the AVRI '62 soon.

Sounds like a cost-cutting move and to not compete so much with the Custom Shop. The quality of my AVRI could be confused with a CS; it's that good.

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Also agreed with the above. The '62 Reissue does have a thin profile from front to back. The Radius doesn't have anything to do with the thickness, just the curvature of the fretboard. I wouldn't hesitate if you are considering. These basses are killer.

16. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    ive had the opposite experience with mine ,I have a roadworn, '57 avri and 2 62 avri necks the '62s are thinner front to back on mine the roadworn and 57 have similar feels

17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

That's been my experience too, both my AV 57 and 62 were purchased within the last 4 years or so.

18. Mastermold

This is interesting, I'd have thought the RW and AV 57 necks would be the same as my AV 57 neck feels just like my AV 62. Maybe Fender isn't CNCing them the same after all.

19. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    im sorry i meant the roadworn and the 57 are the same , the 62 feels different , 1 62 is from 2000 , the other from 2008

20. Mastermold

Well what I was trying to say is I thought they all had the same neck profile at this point.