Well, I thought it would work, but maybe not: sabddi as preamp with poweramp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So I am using a sansamp bass driver as a preamp to drive my stewart pr 1000 hooked up to my schroeder mini 12+

Trouble is i dont seem to get as much volume as i think i should. Yes, the output switch is set to "line". I have the stewart at full volume (1000w bridged mono 4ohms) and the sabddi's level knob is maxed as well. the drive knob and the other knobs are at 12 o'clock. Overall, the volume level is adequate for my rehearsals with my classic rock cover band (we are not that loud!) but i just thought it would be *alot* louder. My ashdown electric blue 180-15 seemed to go just as loud. Also, my 200w clarus with 250w wizzy seemed louder (however the tone with the wizzy / clarus was thin while the tone i get with this rig is nice and fat)

A few ideas about why this is happening:

-the last rehearsal i used a 9 volt battery - would the sabddi give more output if i used the ac adapter?

-the sabddi doesnt have enough output? the specs for the output is 0dbv. I was told by Tech 21 that this is enough to drive a poweramp like mine. Does the SA RBI have more output?

If i crank all the knobs to maximum i know it will go louder but then it will also sound like crap. I am just surprised that this rig isnt louder.
    I know with a larger cab it would be much louder, but the cab is rated at 500w and actually does a great job. i think the problem is the sabddi.

If a 1000w isnt that much louder than 400w i think i may just get a nice light, compact eden wt400. Will the searching ever end?:rolleyes:
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, when you get an iAMP. That is my biased opinion. :)

3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Don't despair. There's a mod that needs to be done to correct the impedence. Either do a search here at TB or over at the Fender Forum. Can't remember what exactly has to be done.

I seem to recall someone writing Tech21 and they told them what the mod is to make it work properly. It's a DIY project that's quite simple.

Good luck.
  4. I'd say the output of the of the Sansamp pedal and the bass isnt hot enough to drive the power amp. I heard this was the case previously but didnt know of any one that had tried it.

Try out the Tech21 Sansamp RBI, it's a rack mount version of the Bass Driver DI pedal. It should have a hotter output, and all the features of the pedal- alot of people around here run them- I know Remo was doing blue light, upgrades too.

If your interested in selling the Sansamp DI pedal in order to try the RBI or otherwise- PM me.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    well, this is one of the newer model sabddis with the output boost switch. maybe you can mod this one too? i read on tb that you can mod it to boost the xlr output to +4dbv but i am pretty sure they were talking about the older model.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    you could be right. that makes sense. however, i dont want the rack version as i am weight weenie. the pedal version is a dream at under one lb and can be battery operated so i dont have to deal with the extra weight of extension cords, power bar, rack case etc. my total weight for the rig, not including the cab is 15lbs. now if it really could deliver 1000w it would be ideal. alas, no gold.
  7. As it's one of the new models, it certainly shouldn't need the modification and I understand that it *should* be driving your Power Amp exactly as it would if it were an RBI. :meh: :meh:

That being the case, are you absolutely certain that the problem doesn't lie with your Power Amp? Is there any way you can get hold of another pre amp to try with it?

As the only four factors in your set up presumably are:

Pre Amp
    Power Amp

surely it should be simple enough to figure out where the problem lies just by a process of elimination?

Good luck with it anyhoo. :) :)
  8. I noticed in your profile you use a Fender, is the Fender passive by any chance? Maybe the out put of the bass isn't quiet hot enough to give the BDDI enough to drive the amp- Perhaps try an active bass.
  9. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Are you sure you aren't getting full power? Because 1000 watts wont seem THAT much louder than 400 or whatever. It is mostly a difference in how much headroom you have. Just a guess...
  10. Yes.

Bear in mind that, to get "twice as loud" as 400 watts, all other things being equal, you would need 4000 watts. :D
  11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Funny, I use a BDDI everyday direct into an Eden WT-1000 poweramp and have for a couple years now. Tons of power. Incredibly loud.
  12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    BigMikeW: What are your settings on your sabddi? Do you have the poweramp maxed out? How high is the level knob? What cab are you using?

Maybe i am getting full power as others have mentioned. The room I am playing in has thick carpet and is about the size of a large living room. It also has that sound absobring foam stuff on some of the walls. I am getting alot of lows so i know that eats up alot of the power. Also seeing as i am using a 112 cab (even thought its a schroeder) my volume would be louder with a larger cab. I wonder how much louder?

BigMikeW describes the vol he is getting as incrediblly loud. I certainly would not say that of mine.

I just thought a 1000w would be louder. and yes, i am using a passive Jazz.
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If I added a Fishman Pro Platinum Bass Eq Preamp would that significantly increase the signal to the poweramp?
  14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    It would just complicate your rig...all the backaches avoided by the savings in weight would be offset by the migraines casued by the complexity of the rig.

There is a limit to how loud small cabs can get. Maybe adding a second cab is the ticket?
  15. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    only when the wallet thins :crying:
  16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have been using a Programmable BDDI that TEch21 sent me.

Main setting is fairly flat . . . .

Drive - 10 o'clock
    Bass - Noon
    Treble - 1 o'clock
    Presence - between 10 and 11
    Blend - 11 (i want a tonof my sadowsky's coming through)
    Level depends on venue.

I use an Eden WT-1000 poweramp bridged at 4 ohms (full 1,000 watts) and two Eden D410XLT cabs.

I have the poweramp about 2 o'clock. I can say that my BDDI has never been past 3 o'clock and that was at a 3,000 seater.
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The big difference is that you are using two Eden D410XLT cabs while i am using a single 112 schroeder mini 12+. However, this is just for practice volume. I have a schroeder 1210 on the way and i am sure it will be significantly louder.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Veganbass, were you able to get the poweramp's clip light to come on at all? If not, then there's a pretty good chance the samsamp isn't boosting the signal voltage enough to let the poweramp do something to it. In this case, the mod already mentioned will do the trick.

If you did indeed see the clip light, well, at that point your amp is delivering full wattage. If it's not loud enough, the problem is your speakers and/or speaker efficiency, specifically the lack thereof.
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks.. I appreciate your comments. Yes, the clip light did come on. Hmm... interesting. This means I am getting full power and just have to come to terms with what a single 112 is capable of.

The thing is I read on TB where a fellow TBer was using just this exact 112 cab with a 750w svt amp in a medium size venue with no issues.
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're not comparing apples with apples. The SVT is a tube amp, so it'll clip much more gradually and much more musically. Therefore you can drive it harder and back it off much later.

Frequency response also comes into it. Maybe his bass/amp/speaker combination produces a frequency response that cuts throught a little better.

You also don't know how loud his band is. I'd always thought my band wasn't that loud. I've certainly played in louder. Then I bought a dB meter, took it with me on stage and was very surprised to see us hovering at the 120dB mark most of the night. ie - loud.