Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

well I tried to build my own cab and bit off more than I could chew I guess.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fr0me0, Aug 8, 2005.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I bought this head here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163532

sounds great on my friends 2X10 cab. Real loud. So I figured I'd build my own becuase he needed his back.

Bought two Peavy scorpion 10" bass drivers. They are both rated for 200 watts RMS at 8 ohms. I wired them in parallel So should be capable of handleing 400 watts at 4 ohms. Problem is it sure doesn't sound like it can handle 400 watts. I don't have a decible meter or anything but as soon as I turn it up loud enought o play with a drum kit it starts distorting really back. I figure its gotta be the cab cause

A) the head sounded great on a different cab
    B) I made the cab and although I've made a ton of sub boxes before I'm no speaker building genius or anything So i've probably ****ed somehting up.

So can anyone help me out as far as what kinda of problems to look for? I just used standard speaker guage is that good enough? I'm really hoping maybe thats it maybe i need some thicker wire or somethng simple but if I made the port holes or the cab too big that might be a huge pain in the ass. Also what kind of info do I need to give you to help me out? I can get exact dimensions of the cab and the exact specs of the speakers but if people could give me the 'easy' things to look into before I have to start measuring volumetric efficiency and stuff that would be great. I'm really hoping I just need better speaker wire or something like that.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    From your post I can tell you its not the gauge of speaker wire.

It sounds like (again from your post) that you didn't build your cab according to the driver's Thiele-Small parameters. That is the single most imortant factor in building a cab and getting it to sound decent.

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Try sealing the ports.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The two biggest problems for people who build cabs with dimensions that don't take into consideration the T/S parameters of the specific speakers, is 1) lack of low end and 2) low volume before distortion occurs.

If you want to fix this, get WinISD, do some calculations, and build a new box from scratch.