Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well I went out and purchased this............Mike N.???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jun 18, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

A 1975 Ford F-100 Ranger.

Ok I know it isnt quite classic Ford metal but I couldnt pass it up. The body is pretty solid. It has some bubbling paint and behind the cab a corner is partialy rusted thru, another lost the trime do to rust, along with a 4 by 2 inch area in the bed. It also has original paint. The topper has to go on it!! The interior is in GREAT shape no tears or cracks. Drove it 220 miles home last night.

No sure what do I do with it. I want to tweak or restore. Not sure to original or trick it out a bit. Either way I am not a gear head but I would like to learn on this. Any sources on where to begin/advice?? Or did I just buy a big paper weight.

2. ok im not answering any of ur quesrtions, but i just laughed out loud thinking about the possesed girl from the excorcist driving a truck. :D

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool score! I would start of with a general tune up along with getting the tires balanced, wheels aligned, etc. Fixing rust bubbles is pretty easy if you have the right color paint to go along with it. What's worked for me is: sand the rust bubbles down, put a coat of POR 15 or Corolis, wet sand, paint, wet sand.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

"I just saw this big ole Ford rustbucket driving down the road with pea soup coming out of the windows!" :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey Odie, take care of the rust first.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Congrats on the truck. How much? Pics??

Need a little more info on it. V8 or straight 6, auto or stick, two or four wheel drive, standard or supercab, stepside or fleetside, long or shortbox?

To begin I'd take a real good look at the truck and figure out what needs to be done, versus what you'd like to do to it. Get a good look of the brakes, front end, tires etc..... to see if there's anything that has to be done to make it roadworthy. Get a good look for fluid leaks, and the overall condition of the fuel lines/tank, brake lines, e-brake cables etc....

I dont know if Minnesota has an annual safety/emissions inspection (like NY), but (imo) you'll want to get through that before you spend alot on go fast parts and a paint job.

As far as fixing it up, since there really isnt any collector value to a 75 F100 (at least not that I'm aware of), I would probably not go the original restoration route. Too hard to find original parts, and rather costly to do so. I would rather personalize it to fit my tastes.

A few places to start for parts and info would be......

http://www.ford-trucks.com
    http://www.ford-auto-and-parts.com

And, if youre looking for aftermarket performance type stuff (Headers, intake manifolds, camshafts, carbs, chrome wheels, tires etc....)

www.summitracing.com
    www.jegs.com

Keep us updated.............
    And hurry up with some pics ;)

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

It is a F100 2x4, Ranger. Standard Cab, long box?? 1/2 ton. It has a crazy full system that I cant fiqure out. (Havent really tore into it) It has dual gas tanks and I believe the switch is next to the driver side, but not sure which to turn etc. Didnt feel like trying 200 miles from home :) I believe it is a 302 since it is an 8 cyl and it looks smaller. 3 speed with OD. Engine dirty as heck!!! Radiator looks good.

No emission laws that I know of in Minnesota. At least ones that are inforced on regular basis.

The title says that it has 47,000 miles on it. Not sure if its true. Seller was an old guy that had it sitting most of the time since 80'. He said he drove one long trip to Canada in 85'

Here is the only photo I have for now.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Like I said the topper needs to go along with those caps/rims.

I am thinking about making it more tricked out but not for mud or monster trucking. Not a low rider either. Sort of a retro meets modern look. Sea Foam green where the red is. Maybe cream color where the wite is. I dont know.

9. Mmmm old. ;)

10. Get some really kickazz speakers so you can crank that Delco AM radio!!!

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My next car will be a Prius!

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That is the coolest.
    I'm eyeing a bronco around the same age(I think) Same colors to.

Congrats

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

VIN number(letter Y) points that it is a Y - V8 - 360 - 2 barrel Carb - 73-76. Will look at it more later.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll buy a 5 liter to make up for you.

j/k ;)

Odie! Cool truck! Yes, tha cap has to go.

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Man, that truck rules! I've got a soft spot in my heart for old beatup pus. :help: You can beat the hell out of them and they keep coming back for more. Just realize that you are now the guy that all your friends will call when they need stuff moved.

16. OK, you've got a real hoss there. The 360's were as big as you could go before you jumped up into the big block arena of
    428's and the even larger diesels. It's gonna run you some gas but you won't EVER lack HP for pullin' a trailer or stumps.

This pup has the twin I beam front suspension. Actually one of the coolest pickup front suspensions ever made. They used the same on the small Rangers but with the narrow track it didn't work as good. The wide trucks rode very well with the I beams. You get more front wheel travel with less camber deflection in this system. That just means that, in turns, you will keep a better tire patch on the ground.

IIRC these trucks have the famous Ford 9" rear end - one of the hot rodders favorite pieces. Without removing the rear axle, you can change gears in the differential. The entire carrier comes out holding the gears. Sometimes, you'll find a particular truck that was geared too low for snappy in-town driving. You can fix that with a gear change. Or, if you are hauling up some beefy hills, you might want to change the gear to help the engine work less hard.

You've got a great find. Have the motor completely gone over and with the oil change, put in one of the oil treatments like Petron Plus or DuraLube or the other bonding oil treatments. NOT the PTFE type treatments like Slick 50. Also change to a K & N air filter system. This will save gas and increase HP. The oil treatment will cut down on friction and increase HP. Both will help with gas mileage.

Good Luck

17. send a picture of ur car to Pimp My Ride.

they might Pimp it for you. :D :D :) :)

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey thanx for the info. Hammie you are a jack of all trades. I was pretty surprised how well it road down the highway and in town. The biggest problem is that it seems to idle a little funny and when I first step on the gas(just alittle not kicking it down) from a stop it kind of chokes and sometimes will die. After the first second of acceleration it is fine. It also takes off well when I step on it to kick it down.
    The other areas are the fact the gauges are off. I ran out of gas at a 1/4 tank. Spent 30 minutes trying to figure that out. It also has an extra tank behind the cab on the bed. After-market I assume. But the big problem is that the stearing wheel is half a turn off. In other words instead of the wheel inner part going west-east it goes North south. So the Ford emblem is vertical rather than horizontal. Makes it darn near impossible to see the speedometer....which is off by about 5 mph.

Hammie I always thought oil treatments were a gimmic. But I will give it a try. I see a debate coming....Mike where are you?

19. Hmm. I really doubt that delco products were put in ford products in 1975 :) Just like you wouldn't expect to see a "body by fisher" logo on the door frame sills ;)

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually it is a booming Philco AM. One speaker in the center of the dash. We are talking HI FI BABY!!!