Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well, I'll be damned.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 12, 2003.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/12/national/12WIRE-SMART.html (NYT registration required)

Elizabeth Smart, the teenage girl who was kidnapped from her family's home over a year ago, was found safe and alive at a traffic stop today.

One of my friends from church knows the Smart family quite well--his family home is on the same block--so I'm sure there will be much rejoicing in my congregation in the ensuing weeks.

I'd long since figured her for dead, after a brief period of cynicism in which I surmised that she'd run away from home.

2. I saw the news on my homepage. Shes lucky, damn lucky. Sure the family is glad to have her back.

3. Good news for once!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Chalk this one up in the "Miracles Do Happen" column...kidnapped teenager Elizabeth Smart has been miraculously rescued alive and well in a town not far from her Salt Lake City, Utah home...nearly nine months after her night time abduction from her bedroom!

Her family must be ecstatic with joy. I hope she is well and was not mistreated during her captivity. The man who allegedly kidnapped her is now in jail (where I hope he spends the rest of his life.)

I was always so touched by the videos of this beautiful young child so seriously playing her harp. I certainly hope this is the end of this sordid chapter in her life and that this traumatic nine months does not leave any lasting damage to her. I hope to see videos of her once again happily playing her harp.

5. Hey, I posted a thread about this already! (Perhaps "I'll be damned." was insufficiently descriptive of a thread title.)

:spit:

Seriously, though, one of my friends is a friend of the Smart family. I'm sure he'll be stoked.

Evidently the guy who kidnapped her had a couple of strangely dressed women with him--he said he was a prophet preaching to the homeless, so maybe he decided to go whole-hog Old Testament.

6. Wow! That is really good news! And pretty impressive with it

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry, Peter. I looked for titles with the name Elizabeth Smart, so I wouldn't double post a thread. Like you say, your title didn't tip me off as to the topic. In fact. many thread titles mystify me. I don't have time to read every thread, so a quick search didn't reveal your thread. Sorry if I stepped on your toes. :meh:

8. Oh, jeez, I hope I didn't come off as offended or anything.

Perhaps some more smileys would have been useful:

; :D :eek: :D ;)

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    my mother actually knows her grandfather from tumor board meetings held in the rockies... says he is a very nice guy and she was very relieved to hear the astonishing news. she just shot him an email actually! i never thought she'd be found at all (let alone alive) somebody's prayers were answered!!! :D

10. i was told the man they orginaly charged the kindnaped with was thrown and jail, where he died of a brain hemorage... ( which was probably caused by the police hitting him in the head trying to get some awnsers out of him )

its sad because the man was innocent, and was blamed and died in jail.

i hope that girl isnt seriously screwed up in the head now.. it's a real pity.

11. She won't, sadly. She'll be in therapy the rest of her life... :(

12. yeh, sorry for the vauge facts , girlfriends father just kinda talked about it for a minute or two at the dinner table...

13. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I'm really surprised(happily). This has got to be a one in a million story.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. :)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For this, I believe, you will merely be danged.

16. Milo Desmond

Milo Desmond Guest

Oct 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City
    I live in Salt Lake City, and my drummer actually works across the street from where this all happened.

Things are crazy here today, but one thing is for sure....

EVERYONE is elated that she is back with her family!!!

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I admire the father. He never gave up hope.

18. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
  19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    P-Mac has already started a thread on this.

20. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Really? I scrolled down and didn't find it.