1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, I'm impressed. (Aggie SL112)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lo-E, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey TB!

I recently went searching for a 1x12 ultralight cab for easy subway travel and then dropped the search after a few weeks and a few test drives at various shops - not because the need went away, but because I just got busy with other things.

One of the cabs I had tested was the Aguilar SL112, which wasn't at the top of my list in the tone department, but was still pretty good and VERY light.

Fast forward a few months: I'm looking in Craigslist and see that somebody is selling an SL112 with a Tone Hammer 500 head - with covers - for $550!!! Needless to say, I jumped at it. That was a couple of weeks ago, and it has since sat around waiting for me to have an opportunity to give it a try with a band.

That opportunity came two nights ago, when I was able to bring it to a rehearsal in a decent sized room with a four-piece band. The guitarist and drummer in that band are what I would describe as medium/loud - certainly not crazy-loud - and the PA in the room gets the vocals plenty loud.

I have to say I came away pretty impressed. I had to fuss with the EQ a bit at first to get some of the midrange boxy stuff out, but once I did, I was treated to a fairly old-school tone that was definitely loud enough to do bar gigs and maybe even bigger. Way to go, Aggie!

My test was done in a 20x20 room that tends to be pretty boomy. I used a stock P-bass strung with rounds. I ended up with the controls not far from noon for everything, with just a little cut in mids (mid sweep around 11:00) and the master near 1:00.

I ran the 'drive' knob at around 10:00. Just curious... where do you guys run them?

All-in-all, I'm stoked at how much I was able to get out of a <30lb. rig. I'll be needing to drive to a lot fewer gigs!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I tried a Tone Hammer into an SL112 last week at Sam Ash and I was down with it. Yeah, it's a little boxy sounding like a lot of neo 112's like you said, but not as bad as most I've played and I thought it was quite a good little cab for its class. Not going to give up my beloved Ampegs over it but it was nice and felt pretty familiar. Good enough where I might take a closer look at some of their pedals next time I get some free cash ;)

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I had that combo for awhile and it is a nice setup. I ran the drive low - around 8 or 9:00. I didn't hear much difference between off and there though. I had to run the -10db pad with my active basses otherwise the front end would distort. Other than that, punch amp and the cab does will especially when you calculate tone-per-pound.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You say this as if there's anything you'd give up your beloved Ampegs for! :cool:

This might never become my first choice, especially for bigger gigs or louder bands, but as nostatic points out, the tone-per-pound ratio is pretty amazing. For smaller bar gigs in the city, I can throw the head in my gig bag, grab the cab and still have a hand free for navigating the subway. I don't even need a cart.

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'm going to check out an SL112 tomorrow. I've been using one of my GS112s and GK MB200 as my coffeehouse rig but I'd love to trim that down to a 27 pound schlep instead of 45 pounds. Sounds like I'm pretty lazy doesn't it? LOL!

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Believe it or not, I found the SLs to be TOO lightweight. It's easy to swing them into walls and doorways without even meaning to. They also take up a huge footprint given what they are.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A little ;) But hey, it's your right to play through whatever you want, so have fun, bro!

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    LOL! Thanks! but even a little weight savings helps these days - messed up my shoulder last year falling on ice and I'm still mending.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    @jmattbassplaya: Too light!! Yeah, sign me up!!! I'm gonna start gigging this here SL112 and my Danelectro and lift right off the freakin' ground! With my back and the myriad joys of the NYC subway, too light is exactly what I'm looking for! :hyper:

What I did find to be a little too light was the head. That sucker was being bounced all over the place! I think I might see some Velcro in it's future. For now, I'll just set it on the floor. Still beats carrying a full-sized head!

I'll agree that the footprint of the cab is a little odd. I should try it standing on edge and see how it sounds. I imagine it would be fine.

@johnpbass: I haven't heard a GS112 - or at least not enough to give you a real comparison, but from what I can remember from the research I was doing when I first started shopping, the general consensus here on TB was that the SL has less "hi-fi" detail and, therefore, a more "old-school" sound. I'm trusting my memory for this, though, which is not always such a solid plan.

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Thanks for the quick comparison Lo-E - that'll be good to keep in mind when I check out the cab.

I've set the GS cab on it's edge, that is, driver down, tweeter up, handle up. It sounds fine that way.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll probably set the SL the same way when I use it for its first gig next weekend.

Sitting flat, it's kinda like a really, really tall rug. It just takes up way too much real estate on a tiny bar stage.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, it got it's debut on Friday night at Hank's Saloon here in Brooklyn and I have to say I'm still impressed.

I was asking a little bit much from it; no P.A. support in a fairly long, narrow room and a fairly loud rock band.

For the first few songs, I was hitting the clip light pretty hard and while it sounded okay, I wasn't sure whether or not the head would be okay with that, so after a while I turned the bass down a bit, turned the mids up a bit and turned the drive up a bit, too. At that point I was much punchier and louder and I was only hitting the clip light on big transients. That was good enough for me and I left it alone for the rest of the set.

The drummer complimented me on the sound of it afterward and somebody from another band said that they could hear me just fine at the back of the fairly crowded room - about 50' away. As I see it, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect any more from a compact 112, so I'm pretty pleased overall. I could maybe even see myself adding a second SL112 at some point.

13. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    +1 to the 2nd SL112. That extra 6dB fills the room better, brings the sound closer to your ear without adding to the footprint, and saves from having to thrash one cab so hard and risk driver failure. You'll be glad you did. :D

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Two cabs means it's no longer a subway-ready package, so there may not be any advantage to adding a second 112. If I'm taking the car anyway, I can just bring a full-size rig. I might try pairing it with my LDS 112, just for curiosity's sake.