1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, I'm not going to be playing any gigs for a few months...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ...but it's for a great reason.

I have mentioned the situation once or twice before at random times, but many probably don't know the situation. For the last five years I have been on the kidney transplant list. It's been a long wait. Several phone calls and false alarms. And four years of dialisys on top of that. Last Wednesday , I got a phone call to go to the University of Kentucky Medical Center. This call from the onset was just different than the others.

Long story short, on Thursday about 4pm, they took me back into the operating room and by about 7pm I had a new (to me anyway) working kidney!

It's been a pretty emotional week. I mean, someone else had to lose their life for me to get this opportunity. But it has already been life changing. I'll probably be down for three months, and will forever need to be careful around crowds. But the alternative is much worse so I'll take this any day.

But one thing that is funny that will change is the fact that I used to joke that I didn't have to go pee four a whole four set show. That will change now!

BnB

2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well, BnB,
    Blessings upon you in your new lease on life. I'm glad you have the grace to recognize the price paid, and to be grateful. Gratitude is a rare commodity today.
    Get well soon!

3. TedH

TedH Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Very cool indeed! Life goes on in very interesting ways given some pretty cool scientific discoveries. Glad to hear you can kick dialysis and go towards a more normal life. :thumbsup:

rtav, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Congrats! I'm sure the wait for they kidney was difficult at times. Take care of yourself!

jamro217, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Keep to your music... it will help in the healing.. Good luck to you.

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Congratulations, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!! :hyper:

jamro217, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  7. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congratulations and best wishes on your recovery.

jamro217, bound'n'blocked and dbase like this.
  8. hermetic

hermetic

May 10, 2016
    Congratulations on your new family member. May your music from now on always be in tune.

9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That's Great news! :)

A guitarist friend went through a similar situation waiting for a liver donor. Recovery took a little while but he's now back to touring as hard as ever. You will be back before you know it. :thumbsup:

jamro217, bound'n'blocked and dbase like this.
  10. My guitar player used to joke that I was like Jason Bonham's character in Rock Star. I'd go get myself cleaned out in the morning and then go rock in the evening!

Bnb

jamro217 and McG like this.
  11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congratulations, and may you have a speedy and complete recovery!

jamro217 and bound'n'blocked like this.
  12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Happy Days!

13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery to full health.

14. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    New kidney day, beats new bass day! All the best with a full and rapid recovery, hang in there.

Mark

jamro217, mcarp555, Helix and 4 others like this.
  15. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the new kidney. I am a two time kidney transplant recipient, most recent was 2008. I gig regularly and mine is going strong. I hope the same for you.
    Maybe we should start a new Talkbass club for transplant bass players:)

Renaissance, jamro217, GregC and 2 others like this.
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

This indeed sounds like good news. Be blessed, heal quickly, and get back to gigging as soon as you get a chance. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

17. That would be awesome!

It's been a long time coming. Sometimes I didn't it would ever really happen at all because the odds of getting a match are so long due to the high number of those needing organs vs the lower number of donors. It's really just simple math. With ten people needing and only six people as available donors, someone will get left out. To say I am extremely fortunate would be a massive understatement. I'll add this as well...PLEASE sign your organ donor card on your driver's license or however your state/country does it. A total stranger did that and now I and my family have a new life.

Sorry I'm getting all mushy, but I'm really an emotional wreck right now...LOL!

outoftune...
    Give me a day or two. I would love to hear about your experience if that's ok.

BnB

Brio, jamro217, GregC and 6 others like this.
  18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Glad you're doing well!

jamro217 likes this.
  19. Congrats! Take time to heal fully, but never stop rocking.

jamro217 likes this.
  20. red_rhino

red_rhino Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TB. Gold Supporting Member

Darn it! You beat me to that. :D
    Well, you know what we say here on Talkbass; no pics.... ;)
    Seriously, congratulations and all the best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery.