Well I'm off to Guatemala...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DanGouge, May 16, 2003.

1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    ....where I probably won't have any internet access. So after today, I guess I won't be here for a couple weeks...
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Take care!! Why are you going there anyway? Bussiness or are the authorities after you??! :)
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Little bit of column A, little bit of column B... :D Seriously, I'm going with a group from my church to build walls for a school for a small mountain community (520 people or so). While we are there we're also running some activities for the kids in that community. It'll be interesting because the Mayan indians tend to be rather short and I'm 6'7"!
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Holy cow, dude - you are a freak of nature! I'm glad I'm not freakishly tall like that...I'm a lot more average - I nice normal height of 6'6" :D

Hey, have a good time while you're out there doing God's work...tell us all about it when you get back.
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Will do! I might even get some pics up...
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My aunt just got back! She goes down their to do medical work every year.

Maybe you guys are with the same organization?
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My neighbor went down ti Centro Americo a few years ago, Niquini , Nic to be exact. and he came back married to a woman 20 years younger.

He is now known as 'El Gringo' down there as his little business supports a whole village.

He now has 3 cars, credit cards, 3 kids, a mortgage, a wife who loves jewelry, he doesn't sleep much.

But he's happy.

Be careful what you come home with, you may get happy too .....

Life is nice, have fun!

Let me know if you see any great deals on used automatic weapons of US manufacture in bulk, I understand that the Iraqi's still need 1 assualt rifle per household minimum.
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Well, as some of you might guess by my posting around here this week, I am indeed back from Guatemala. Mike, there a lot of NGOs operating in Guatemala, the one I was with was Food for the Hungry International. They're a small organization but they seem to be very well run and well atuned to the needs of the communities they are serving.

The rural parts of Guatemala are still very much Mayan. The women wear traditional clothes and many of the people speak Mayan dialects (Poqomchi where I was). The countryside itself is incredibly beautiful where we were. The elevation was something like 6000ft and sometimes the clouds would be beneath us, moving through the valleys!

The people themselves were incredibly generous. Every day a couple members of our team would visit homes in the community and everyone would offer us something to eat and drink even though we were rich gringos and many of them did not have a lot. Truly a humbling experience. I don't think I'll forget the warmth and the generousity I experienced in Guatemala.