1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, I'm Split

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Feb 21, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    For my next bass, Im trying to decide between one of the new American series p basses, and one of the new American jazz basses. I have a MM Sterling HS. So i already have a jazz pickup, but the jazz bass itself sounds a lot better. Im equally divided on these. Can I get some opinions?

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Well, if you think the Jazz sounds better, I would get one. But, I'm just gassin' for one anyway.

3. You're split? I'm single coil. Mind if I stand behind you? I just crossed this bridge here.

4. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Im not sure, I know it soudns better than the jazz pup on my Sterling. But the Precision, I dunno. I like the jazz neck more. But I think I like the P bass tone a little more. The jazz is a little too growly. But its not too bad. Its on the borderline. Same with the P bass. The only thing I dont like about the p bass is the neck, and the fact it just kinda has the flat sound. I guess I could get jazz and bump up the EQ and smooth it out a bit I suppose.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The obvious answer is a Rickenbacker, any dolt knows that!

....flees forum

6. I laughed. Thank you sir.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    "Decisions to be made between lager and ale"...

Do they still make a "Hot Rod Precision"? That was the P bass with an added jazz pup in the bridge and the jazz bass neck on a P bass body. They were US made and very swett around 1999. Not sure if Fender still offers them.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Most definitely ale, and if not ale, then scotch.

Get the Jazz. Ok I realize that it isn't that cut and dry, but I'm just trying to make it easy for you. I'd get the Jazz. I tried a black and maple one at GC and loved what they've done with it. Should have picked up the P, but they had my check ready for me before I had a chance.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I am also jonesing for a US Fender and am torn between the standard Jazz or P bass. When I listen to the first few Van Halen albums I am certain I must own a P bass as I just love Michael Anthony's early tone.

But then I hear some Rush and want to go after that growly jazz tone. Tough choice. Get one and then work towards the other!

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played 2 Jazzes and 3 P-basses from the New American Standard series. I honestly think both basses nail a great Fender tone. You can't go wrong with either. Be sure to play each one PLENTY before you decide.

Of the five NAS basses I played, I preferred the P-bass--I am a P-bass kind of guy. I have a Jazz, and use it a fair amount, but I am happier with a a P/J or P-bass.

The only flaw I saw on any of these basses was a high 20th fret on a P-bass.

11. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    What he said!

:p

12. What? 'Flees forum?'

Uh, okay...

:p

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Good luck...I was looking for a good P-bass not that long ago. I wound up with an American Deluxe Jazz. My second choice was an '08 American Std. Jazz :meh:

I'll still have a P-bass eventually, but the Jazz is more versatile and easier to play on long gigs. The Sterling is a nice bass, but its never going to sound like a Jazz. If the Jazz is too growly, you can string it up with flats and it will be a nice alternative to your Sterling. Unless you need the P-bass for a specific gig, I would go with your gut and get the Jazz.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Jazz bass is more versitile IMO that a Precision.

Having said that, your EBMM should be able to get close to the Precision tone.

Personally, I own many Jazz and P basses and used to gig with a P and a J. Now, since I got my new Stingray, I gig with the SR and a Jazz. I find the SR will replicate a P bass well enough for me to leave the P at home.

15. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I think the only answer is to just get them both:smug: